Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just crashed my mx6 last week and tonight i had an idea. I was wondering if it is possible to buy a 626 and just swap the engine from my mx6 to the 626. I realize that some 626's already were made with the v6 in an mx6, but all i can find are four bangers. My engine already has aftermarket parts on it and extremely low miles. My questions.....
1. Is a I4 swap to a v6 possible? or do i need to find a 626 with a v6 already to do the swap?
2. What all would a swap entail?? Just unhook all vacuum hoses and unbolt it, and switch out the computers so my mx6 computer is with the engine it is used to? or is this more complex?
3. If i cant do the swap myself(which i am planning on), how much could i expect to pay for a mechanic to do it??

If anyone has any advise/tips/answers... please post as soon as possible because my mx6 is sitting at a body shop waiting to be sold to a junk yard.

Thanks, bryan

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The parts required to do an I4 to V6 swap have been discussed here before. Do a search. I will tell you that you need the computer, transmission, instruments, plus just about everything from the firewall forward. You can keep the brakes and wiper motor and possibly steering/some suspension components. You'd need the rear discs to do it right, too, but then you'd need the master cylinder.

Is there something special about the V6 in your MX6 (mods) or is it stock? You would certainly have it easier if you just bought another MX6 or a 626 V6.

The computers generally will work if they are the same year and same engine. Some sensors were changed over the years on the V6 and I'm sure for the I4 too.

How bad is your MX6 wrecked? Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
your best deal is to find a 626 v6 w/ a blown motor and save yourself the money. doing an I4 to a v6 is extremely not worth the labor and the money just to get the power the v6 already has. just be patient and get a v6 mx6 or 626 so that everything you need to do the transplant is already in the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts