Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the MX-6. I think I have a vaccum leak because when I boost, my boost doesn't hold. I took off the Turbo-to-Upper IC hose and put my mouth over it and blew to see if there was a leak. I thought the IC is suppose to hold pressure, no? When I blew, there was no backpressure so my conclusion was a leak. Is the IC suppose to hold the pressure? And is there a better way to test for a leak (I.E. hand pump)? Also all intake hosing were taken off and I cleaned all the oil residue off and made sure everything was back on properly and securely. I also took off the boot that goes to the throttle body and it appeared to look new (with no cracks). Still a leak...Any clues?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your lungs alone are not strong enough to test for a vaccume in the intercooler.

Usually if you have a boost leak in your main air intake tract you get very noticable hesitation and rough running. If your boost is just falling off, you could have one of the many small vaccume hoses disconnected, or leaking. Its time to start poking around.

Personally, I think you should check the vaccume line that runs to the Bypass valve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I also put a high pressure air pump at the end of Turbo-to-Upper IC Hose and it doesn't hold any pressure. I've been told that the stock MX-6 bypass valves aren't the greatest and are prone to failure. Is this true and how should I test for leaks in the bypass valve?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
ok, umm i hope your covering the other side somehow.... because yes it is supposed to hold pressure, but the system is open on the other side so you have to block it before you test it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the tb boot and plugged the metal upper IC pipe which connects to the tb boot. Then I removed the upper IC hose that connects to the turbo. I put a high pressure air pump on that end and the pressure discharges right away. All the hoses are on tight. Could it be a leaking IC?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
FlySwat said:
Your lungs alone are not strong enough to test for a vaccume in the intercooler.
unless of course you're Pamela Sue Anderson.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
XMX6X said:
I removed the tb boot and plugged the metal upper IC pipe which connects to the tb boot. Then I removed the upper IC hose that connects to the turbo. I put a high pressure air pump on that end and the pressure discharges right away. All the hoses are on tight. Could it be a leaking IC?
Perhaps the hot tip is to listen to hear from whence the discharge is emanating. A piece fo vacuum hose might help you get into those tight spots if you don't have a stethoscope.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Umm, just curious, but are you testing the pressure before or after the stock bypass valve? B/c if I am right the pressure is probably being vented back into there since that is what the bypass valve is supposed to do, so when you shift the pressure left inside the intake piping won't rush back and kill your turbo. Maybe if you are doing it before the bypass try it after it, that may be more helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I was doing it before the bypass but I plugged the vaccum hose that runs to the TB. I will try it after the bypass

·
Registered
99 Posts
SleepCounter said:
unless of course you're Pamela Sue Anderson.
........There she BLOWS!! :smokin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I used a stethoscope to try and find the leak. I could hear a faint leak around the connection of lower IC to the pipe that runs to the TB. I've got the clamp as tight as I could get it and it still seems to leak a little bit around it. Also, what is that circular metal thing with a flat cream colored harness that is right under where the lower IC hose and metal pipe (mounted on tranny - by the VIN #)? It is making a loud hissing sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts