Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch and gear stick pulsates (slighty) as I drive, so I took it to the local Mazda dealership and they said that my valve cover gaskets are leaking oil into my spark plug wells which causes the vibration. They said in order to fix the prob., they need to first remove the oil, and change the plugs, wires, etc.
The main thing is that they're asking $650 !!! What do you guys think, are they ripping me or is that fair?

Also, when I look at my engine it has brown stains all over it that looks like oil. What could this be and how can I get rid of it --> I have a 96 MX-6,and my friend has a 93 and his is perfectly clean.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
That's a rip off. If you can operate a paper towel, you can clean the oil out of the plug wells!

Sure replacing the wires (probably about $100+ for the parts) and plugs (less than $20) will help, but will not solve the problem. Leaky valve cover gaskets are causing oil to get into the plug wells.

Solve the real problem first, then clean your plugs and wires. If it's still bad, then replace the wires. If the plugs haven't been replaced in 30000 miles, it's not a bad idea to replace them anyway.

Tyson
95 LS

G

·
0 Posts
definatly a rip off. mine used to leak too, if u want to fix it and have some knowledge of how to work on your car, you might want to consider fixing it yourself. it'll save you probably $600 of the $650 the dealer wants to fix it. its kindof a pain in the ass and will probably take about six hours. look around on this site, a couple people have step by step instructions on how to do it on their personal sites. good luck!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
no way dude, it will cause you $85 bucks,that pays for a new valve cover gasket and all the gromets. It comes with 2 gaskets, one for the front and one for the back. Check them both. its really easy to take the front one off, just remember to clean the gasket off real good. Also put a lil silicone on each corner of the radius' (or on both sides of the humps sticking up) and make sure you don't overtighten your valve cover screws. It should only take you about an hour for the front. it will take you alot longer to take the back one off due to having to take the intake off. but good luck. just don't pay that much.
Streezz

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
First piece of advice... don't take your car to the dealer unless you like having a dick up your ass and having your money stolen from you at the same time. Always .. ALWAYS consult us first, we'll tell you where to go or what solution will work best...

In your case, as it was mentioned before, just change your valve cover gaskets, front AND rear. While you're doing that, replace the intake manifold gaskets or get some phenolic spacers.

It;s always good to go to a mechanic and at least have SOME idea of what the problem is. That way you know you won''t get dicked around...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am having the same problem, but the dealership here quoted me around $275 CAD. Is that still too much? Are you saying that I should go to an independant mechanic to get a price? I would love to do it myself, but I really don't have the mechanichal ability!!:confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
NSCanada6 said:
I am having the same problem, but the dealership here quoted me around $275 CAD. Is that still too much? Are you saying that I should go to an independant mechanic to get a price? I would love to do it myself, but I really don't have the mechanichal ability!!:confused:
If you have doubts, I guess $275 CAD is a pretty good price. Just remember though, the gaskets only cost about $20 US a piece, all of the other is labor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, I will ask another mechanic, because I am sure I can find someone with cheaper labour rates!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
if you aren't mechannically inclined, then don'y touch the car. If you want to be mechanically inclined, then go nuy a repair guide for the book and follow the ste by step instructions they give you. They even have pictures. I have a Chilton's guide, and it has so much crap in it it's insane. You should have no problems with a little help from a book.

·
Registered
242 Posts
A guy I know has the Haynes shop manual. Whould that be easy to follow? I would love to learn how to do these things myself!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Go 4 it! I doubt you will even need a manual. The gaskets will probably come with decent instructions. Anyone who has done a valve cover gasket will tell you that it is a piece of cake. There is very little that you can screw up but it will take some time and you will get dirty and greasy. Just make sure you have everything you need before you start.

Let's see:

a ratchet and sockets
something to scrape off old gaskets
new valve cover gaskets
sounds like you need new intake manifold gasket
gasket sealer

Did I forget anything?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Items...

I would add some masking tape or something to mark the vacuum lines so you don't forget where everything goes...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
a haynes manual is perfect, with the things mentioned right above your good to go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts