Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve Cover *update*

I'm about to replace my Valve Cover gasket. I know how to do it, I'm just making sure that there is nothing "special" I need to know before I do.

One thing I don't know for sure, do I need to use a sealant (silicone) and a gasket, or just a gasket?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just did mine on my 90 GT last weekend. Nothing real special about it, I didn't use sealant, but oil is slowly gathering around the right side half moon for the intake cam at the corner where the half moon starts to go up, so I would suggest using some sealant in the 90 degree uprising corners.

Ryan

·
Registered
405 Posts
after i changed mine, and used sealant, it still leaks along the back side of the timing belt cover. probably going to have to change it again. just be-careful with the sealant and try not to put to much on to get into the inside of the valve cover.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I painted mine a bright red/orange around a month ago and used sealant. I put it on the gasket, and have no leaks. At least put it on the corners, around the distributor and timing belt.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Smachan and Importhead, did you guys torque the cover down too? And Importhead, did you seal both sides of the gasket?

Ryan

[Edited by rmtaylor on 02-20-2001 at 08:54 AM]

G

·
When I had my '91 LX I had to replace the valve cover gasket, and was still clean when I traded it in. I bought a rubber gasket and just layed it into place and followed the torque sequence as described by the Haynes. I didn't use any sealant on it. Just remember to only tighten each bolt partially, then go back and tighten each one a little more and finally tighten each to torque spec.

Just be glad its not the oil pan your doing...

·
Registered
375 Posts
seal

Rmtaylor, I sealed both sides, torqued it down to specs in a criss-cross method, starting from the center to the outer bolts. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'll probably need to do the change again. Starting to leak from the center now! Blah!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the info guys.

I hope I don't have as much trouble as a couple of you guys had (re-ocurring leaks).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I replaced it, no one warned me how easy it is to break the PVC valve! Oh well, I put in a new gasket--the old one felt like ceramic (it is supposed to be rubber). I put in a new one Sunday, now instead of seapage, it's freakin' spraying out (i'm exhaggerating a little). So I said to hell with it, and took it to my mechanic. I've replaced many valve cover gaskets, this is the 1st time I failed! My ego is hurt...lol

just got off the phone with my mechanic. I told him I lost the oil dip stick, he said that if it has too much oil in it, then that may have blown the gasket. That dipstick is $40, and I can't get it till Wednesday!! Man, this just ain't my week.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You sure you tightened them evenly man?
Yeah I broke two PCV valves on this thing before. They don't like cold weather much either, but its good that they're inexpensive. My car's going in today for a waterpump job so don't feel so bad!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that is probably around the corner (the waterpump/timing belt). Make sure you get that timing belt done--while they're in there. The manual says it should be replaced every 60K miles (I don't believe that-but), and it would just a smudge more in parts and labor--actually, they usually offer it as a package deal on our cars--since they are together.

Yeah, I tightened them evenly.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well regardless of the waterpump, I needed to get the belts done anyway, it's been 60k. So it actually works out well. Except for the price, but hey I got the car for $900 I think I can dish out a few more Franklins to keep it going another 6 months.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got it fixed. Since we didn't have a dipstick, I just had him change the oil (which was due anyway), and put the specified amount in. He said I must have had about 5.5 quarts or more in it!!

Dang, don't I sound dumb. But when you don't have a dipstick, and oil is spraying out, you tend to be a little nervous, and add oil--I added too much.

So it is fixed now

·
Registered
287 Posts
So...how'd you fix it?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention. He just put a new valve cover gasket in after changing the oil.

But dammit, I still smell a little oil here and there.

I think he treated me good. He put a new thermostat in there, made a dipstick for me (which he wants me to return to him--don't know why), and checked out the cooling system. My temp guage is off a little.

Charged me $97, which I thought was good. I THINK I'VE FINALLY found a GOOD mechanic--I think.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd put a 10k mile rule into affect. If stuff breaks before that, don't bring it back to him : )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts