Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
honda has vtec
toyota has vvt
what is mazda valve timing system called....you know that roar thats emitted at 45k rpms

and that 160 hp stock is that at the wheels or the flywheel?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
It is not the valves but the air intake system that” has valves” that open at different times in the rev range.. it is called Variable Resonance Induction System.. VRIS..

have a look here

·
Registered
318 Posts
There is nothing special about the valve timing system, just your normal DOHC 24 valve. Perhaps you are referring to the Variable Resonance Intake System, or otherwise known as VRIS.

Published horsepower by the automotive manufacturers are SAE net which is measured at the flywheel, on a dyno, with all the accessories installed (alternator, pumps, etc) and full exhaust.

·
Registered
49 Posts
u guys are arguing over different things variable valve timing and vris are totally different. a car can have both like some beamers

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
No one is arguing ,, at least I’m not.. yea .. you do get variable valve timing but not on the KLs…. You do get variable ignition timing (computer controlled) and Variable intake valves..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nobody is arguing. Read the original question. Mr. MX6 and I are in agreement that she was perhaps referencing the VRIS system, and not the valve train. An assumption is also made that she is referencing her car 96/LS (per her profile) and not some other model or year Mazda.

G

·
actually her question was direted at what ever the system is that triggers that loud roaring sound by the intake at 4500 rpms

its similar in the way that vtec functions(or so it seems)
increased intake flow and the pull of the car

so if im not mistaken ti would be Vris...no?

·
Registered
734 Posts
MX-Sixy Mama said:
honda has vtec
toyota has vvt
what is mazda valve timing system called....you know that roar thats emitted at 45k rpms

All of the new Mazda MZR engines now come with S-VT (Sequential Valve Timing) which is just like Toyota's VVT and VIS (Variable induction system) which is very much like our VRIS. The roar that you're thinking about probably, is that of a honda VTEC engine.

As for the 160hp, I think that it's at the flywheel. But don't quote me on it.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Well untill she posts again we will never know….:rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can trust Cap,he said everything how i meant to say it
to clarify it all

>when punch it and your car(96LS in my case)gets to 4500rpms,and then roars annd pulls...what is the system or function that causes that?<

so if its 160 at the flywheel it loses appx 20hp by the time it gets to the wheels?

·
Registered
113 Posts
it is the VRIS system that causes the increase in power...and yes the power is rated at the crank...I think that it may be more than 20hp that's lost through the drivetrain.

·
Registered
96 Posts
MX-Sixy Mama said:
A stock MX6 LS/Probe GT has 164 hp at the crank. This usually translates into 135-145 wheel hp when you run the car on a dyno. These numbers are based on the numerous dyno's I've seen on probetalk.com and on Ross Lapkoff's Ford Probe page.

The wide range of wheel hp on a stock car is mostly due to variables like engine condition, engine mileage, weather (humidity, barometer pressure that day, temp, etc).

·
Registered
28 Posts
the whole hp thing really throws me off. Two of my buddys have 97 dsm one being gst and gsx. those are supposed to have 210 hp and i don`t understand why i can beat them if i only have 134 hp or watever that figure was (no memory) :D Confusing to me...

·
Registered
96 Posts
peteandhisnephe said:
the whole hp thing really throws me off. Two of my buddys have 97 dsm one being gst and gsx. those are supposed to have 210 hp and i don`t understand why i can beat them if i only have 134 hp or watever that figure was (no memory) :D Confusing to me...
In a drag race, it's not just HP that wins the race. A lot of it is traction, weight, driver skill, transmission type.

If you have a car that has 135 hp at the wheels but it weighs 2500 lbs and you race a guy who has 160 whp but his car weighs 3200 lbs. The lighter car has a weight:hp ratio of ~18.5 lbs/hp, while the heavier car has to pull 20 lbs/hp. Basically, he's too heavy.

Tranny-wise, the MTX will always be more efficient than the ATX. ATX's have a lot of driveline power loss and they suffer from a non-optimal launch.

Traction-wise, in general FWD cars have less traction than RWD cars which have less than 4WD cars (like that GSX). 4WD is the ultimate in traction (for street type cars) and should be able to get great jumps off the line (and 60' times). None of that matters if whoever is driving can't launch the car correctly.

Driver skill also plays a role. If you can shift in .3 sec while your friend takes .5 sec to shift, you will be ahead even if you drove the same exact car. Also, launch technique is huge as mentioned above.

What exactly do they have on their DSM's?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well the gsx i can get on a rolling start but that`s it. Gst i can take him anytime but now he is runnig like 16lbs of boost daily. Gsx is running thermal cat back, injen intake, test pipe, running stock lbs of boost that`s really it mostly bolt ons. The gst is the same thing but he is runnig apexi n1 exhaust with a down pipe. I have hot shot cai, short throw and unorthodox underdrive pulley.

·
Registered
96 Posts
peteandhisnephe said:
Well the gsx i can get on a rolling start but that`s it. Gst i can take him anytime but now he is runnig like 16lbs of boost daily. Gsx is running thermal cat back, injen intake, test pipe, running stock lbs of boost that`s really it mostly bolt ons. The gst is the same thing but he is runnig apexi n1 exhaust with a down pipe. I have hot shot cai, short throw and unorthodox underdrive pulley.
Just consider yourself a better driver and maybe you have one of those freak powerful KL03's that make 145 whp stock. :tup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Another thing to consider is torque... you can't make HP without torque, and most of the DSM cars don't have much of that to begin with. Add to that a low-restriction exhaust and intake, and you are likely losing more torque.

Our MX6s are so nice to drive because of the wonderful torque curve - that's what makes them so versatile. The DSMs don't have and can't get that.

That's why I love to race all those losers with fart-pipes installed on their Hondas and Acuras. Every time I come near one, it's usually the only "upgrade" they made, and it actually hurts them more than it helps. So, whenever I race them, I pull away effortlessly (even with 146k miles on the clock!).

My favorite story to tell is at the drag strip. I was against a powder-blue (yuck) Integra with a big wing, wheels, dropped low, stickers galore, and the obligatory fart pipe. My stock MX6 wasted him with no problem. Why? Probably because the wheels were heavy, the fart pipe was the only "upgrade" and, contrary to popular belief, those stickers and fins don't add performance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
peteandhisnephe said:
if i am not mistaken the stock hp is 170 and 165 at the wheels. Can anyone confirm that?
According to my 1995 brochure, the California and New York models make 160 bhp and all others make 164 bhp (flywheel).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts