Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to post this at probetalk.com but they're down again for some reason. anyway, on my way home from work today, i got it on with a very quick 93 or 94 civic. i'm not sure what type since he didn't have a badge. this was the one with a chopped but roundish hatchback, it couldn't been a dx or ex, it was too quick and i'm not sure if those came in Si trim. anyway, this guy gave me a good workout and made my heart pound really hard :) i was cruising I-5 when i ran into some traffic. there the civic was in front of me nice and low with body kit, wheels and exhaust look really sharp and no sticker or badges. so i said eh, another civic so i paced behind him for awhile. guess he didn't like that so he drops to 3rd and weaves in and out of traffic. i don't usually race in traffic but i wasn't about to be smoked by a little civic. i could hear his little engine screaming as he reaches his top rpms and this guy is pulling away, i'm like no way so i punched it in 5th and gain some ground but wait more traffic (we're like at 90 now), i'm still behind him and he starts weaving though traffic even taking the right shoulder in typical ricer fashion trying his best to lose me. i'm thinking this guys is nuts so just when i was about to give up (too dangerous) we finally passed the traffic and there was nothing but open freeway up ahead :D oh yes, i punched 5th again, boost is at 12psi and i'm gaining ground very quickly. I guess little civic ran out of steam at 120 coz i blew by him pretty fast and kept going and let up at 135 as i gave him the hazards :D he stayed way back as i resumed my cruise at 75 all the way home. anyway, he was pretty quick in traffic i give him that. at times he was actually pulling from me but then again, i stayed at 5th the whole time. those civics just never learn :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
In 5th gear in traffic? Wow!!! If i tried 5th gear in traffic on Long Island I would stall. 2nd is usully the gear for traffic around here. I guess your definition of traffic is completely different than mine.

Great kill though.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehehe

Rbodeman said:
In 5th gear in traffic? Wow!!! If i tried 5th gear in traffic on Long Island I would stall. 2nd is usully the gear for traffic around here. I guess your definition of traffic is completely different than mine.

Great kill though.
sorry, when i said traffic, i meant packs of cars occupying all lanes 3-5 cars apart all going 55-65? san diego traffic that is (3 pm before the rush hour) on a 5-6 lane interstate :)

so is there such thing as 93 or 94 civic si? cause i've raced dx's and ex's before with ease but this one made me work!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Could it have been a CRX? for a minute I thought you was talking about a VW Golf by the way you described it. I go to a popular cruising strip around here and race alot and religiously take out these two CRX's and a Civic SiR that are always there... the guy in the SiR always asks me to race for money because he doesn't think I know he has nitrous hooked into that little ricer, so if I ever put NOS on mine I'll kill em for you guys and post it on the board...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey there 89TurboGT:
Yes, Honda did have an SI version of the hatchback of those years (93-94ish). It had the single cam VTEC with, I think, 127hp (maybe a little less in CA trim!). The newer model hatches with the bigger headlight did not come in SI trim. There are plenty of parts for those single cam VTECs, I bet he was pissed that an older Probe schooled him! Got to hand it to the H boys, they always think they can beat me, so it makes it that much more satisfying to burn 'em:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey there mx666

he looked more shocked than pissed when i blew by him soon as the lanes opened up, you should have seen the look in his face :D

oh, but i bet he got pissed when he saw my tailights flashing and my two little oem (stock) exhaust pipes :D lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny shit. Ricers hate being beat by Fords. Aboslutely hate it. That kid probably went home and shot himself. :)
As for his engine.. All Civics older than '99 have at most a 127hp engine stock. This guy might have stuck in one of the DOHC vtec engines, like from the Integra, in which case he's probably wondering why he spent so much on his engine swap if '89 Probes are still beating him. I love it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Only 90 in FIFTH GEAR? Why on earth would u try to punch fifth gear. I would have dropped her into fourth FOR SURE. I dont really see how punching it at 90 in fifth gear is really going to do much.

·
Registered
270 Posts
DWirth- You must not have a Turbo:) In the 1st gens, if your going 70+ MPH, there is no reason to downshift. At 3K RPMs there is 15psi of boost avaliable, and in my car, a dyno proven 274ft lbs of torque:D Thats passing power! With the small design of the turbo, it looses power past 5K rpms, so there is no reason to spin the motor to redline. Max hp and torque is around 3200 RPMs so staying near the power peak is ideal for quickest acceleration. My dyno results are at the link below, check 'em out.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
for everyones info... the non-vtec 92-95 civics have 102:rolleyes: HP and i think you have to mod to fit an integra engine in there. he might have had the B16A

G

·
92-95 civics are also capable of taking in a gs-r or a new prelude engine with minamul ease which with a stock engin could leave the little civic @ 178-200 hp depending on what engine also not to mention a turbo or outher performance mods. thats how they get so quick also they do hit there govenor at 115-120 depending on the year so they are fast but in long distance they loose because of the fact they can't go over120 even though the engin could theres a couple civics around here with that done to them and they are quick

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
and hondas come stock with forged pistons so he could have been running a pretty good shot of NOS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts