Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Very slow oil leak

894 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  FelixTheCat 
#1 ·
My car has been leaking for the last few days. It started off with Coolant which just turned out to be a loose radiator hose (quick fix).

Now I'm seeing small drops of oil after the car has sat for a few hours. It appears to be coming from near the oil pan area. I got under there briefly the other day, the oil pan seems in good shape. I plan on getting under there tomorrow and see if i can find the leak. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
A common source of leaks is the oil pressure sending unit. It's located just above the oil filter, over towards the alternator. If that's what's leaking, replace it immediately, in case the leak suddenly gets bigger. A second possibility is the O-ring in the oil cooler, just above the oil filter. Sometimes the oil filter O ring itself may leak.

#5 ·
Accessing it is a PITA if you don't have aftermarket headers. Well... actually, even then it is a pain.
Basically, take a look at where your oil filter attaches. That is usually the source of a small leak coming from the front of the engine.
Mine was leaking so I replaced it with an oil filter relocation kit. Works like a charm and I get great pressure.
Good luck.

-Nick

Reactions: rockstar55667
#6 ·
Alright, I'm still on this Oil leak. Apparently its coming from the timing belt? I had my timing belt done 2 years ago (about 24K miles ago) but i was told that it appears when my mechanic did the work he did not replace some seals or something that he should have when he did the timing belt job, causing the leak.

Does this sound right? Because apparently i have to get the timing belt done again to fix this problem.

Thanks

#7 ·
No, that doesn't sound right. There aren't any seals you are supposed to replace when you replace the timing belt.

If it is leaking oil from behind the timing belt cover, that doesn't sound good. The main crank seal is behind there. But are you sure that's where it's leaking?

#8 ·
I'm not sure where its coming from. The leak comes down onto that plastic shield under the car, then drips down.

I took off the plastic shield and tried to find where the leak was coming from. I was unable to find anything...there was oil dripping from the oil filter, i was able to follow that to some hoses above the filter, but I couldn't get any further to see where it was all coming from.

#9 ·
OK. I think I know where it's leaking from. A couple of other people have had the same problem. Fortunately it's not difficult or expensive to fix.

Next time you do an oil change, remove the filter, and you will see a large nut on the bolt which the filter screwed onto. Remove that nut, and the oil cooler (that's the ring right above the filter) can be pulled down. There's an O ring right above. You probably need to replace that O ring.

#10 ·
I got a leak in my oil filter area. Now here's what I understand;

Above the filter is an adapter (Cooling Unit?) in which there is an O-ring (the gasket which connects it to the block?). I understand that this adapter has a few coolants lines and also contains the OPSU or has a line that travels to the OPSU.

What do I have wrong here? I ordered the gasket for what Autozone called the "Oil Filter Adapter Gasket". Is this the O-ring?

Finally, if it is a PITA to get to any and all of this (because I WILL replace all of it just to be sure), how big of a PITA is it. My mechanic says it will take him an hour, so I planned on 3-4 for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.