Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just put new tires on my car this morning, and wouldn't you know it, something completely different starts to screw with me...
I was sitting at a stop light with the clutch in, then I pulled up some then all of a sudden when i pushed the clutch in the car reved to 1500rpm, an fluttered there till I went ahead. Then it was fine. It happened a few times again. I came home and let it run at idle and watched the throttlebody. The car reved up and the throttle didn't move. Which means there is no extra air going into the chamber, but fuel, I suppose. I don't know how old my fuel filter is, but I doubt that's the problem. Has anyone experienced a random high idle before?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Check the wiring under the hood and make sure you don't have anything shorting out. I had an '88 2.2L Dodge Omni that used to do that. Turns out that with time and the heat under the hood a couple of wires had exposed themselves and were shorting on each other. The short caused the engine to rev kind of like yours.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What the problem was, was the coolant temp switch, for the fan. When you unplugged the switch the fan shut off and the idle came to normal. Part cost me $55 from the dealer and was easier to install than a spark plug. Happy trails everyone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.