Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Wow...the ever elusve VF-22

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SixSick6 again.
;)

Laters
Ryan

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ryan- As a sidenote to this thread. The PE1818 is an upgraded VF34 with a larger compressor wheel and a a change to the wastegate spring. The PE1820 is the same thing but is based more on the VF22.

Specs for the VF34:
Product: VF34 Turbo (14411AA321)

Manufacturer: IHI
Turbine Specifications:
Housing P18Turbine Wheel Blades: 11
Turbine Wheel Inducer: 53.0mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer:
48.0 mm
Wastegate: C484B
Compressor Specifications:
Compressor Wheel Blades: 6+6
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 47.9mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 60.0mm
Center Section Bearing: Ball bearing

Looking at these specs, I'll re-measure the VF39, maybe I was being too picky?
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147496

I measured 46.50mm/ 60mm OD. for the compressor wheel, which I know is right. The turbine however, I got 52.50 mm major diameter and 47.50mm exducer. I'll see if I can get 53 and 48 and call it a day.

Specs for both PE series:

Product: PE1818F
Manufacturer: Power Enterprise
Turbine Specifications:
Housing A/R: P18
Bore Size: 25.0mmTurbine Wheel Blades: 11
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 48.0mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 52.5mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 70.0mm
Center Section Bearing: Dual ball bearing

Product: PE1820F
Manufacturer: Power Enterprise
Turbine Specifications:
Housing A/R: P20Bore Size: 25.0mmTurbine Wheel Blades: 11
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 48.0mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 52.5mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 70.0mm
Center Section Bearing: Dual ball bearing

PE1818..............................................PE1820

Info on the VF series in my other thread:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127922

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't bother with it. That turbo comes from the GT Liberty and will likely cost more than the VF30, 34, 39. It is also smaller but due to the design, has minimal lag.

From what I understand it has a titanium shaft among a double BB assembly (which also means it won't be rebuildable) I'd let the guys with warranty's worry about shafts snapping or scored turbines.

Regardless of how much lag you don't have, it is still just a stock turbo therfor isn't going to be much different than the VF30, VF34, VF39 for alot more cost.

Awesome turbine though :tup:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts

werd...thanks for the heads up...i'm looking for something larger of course...but with a quick spool up. you think a VF39 like the one you have will get the job done? I'm considering 250+whp on stock internals, a little polishing of the head, aftermarket fuel control and 440's

·
I knows sumpthin
8,277 Posts
Hot Ass, 250whp is fairly easy on the VF series turbo's...With some more tuning and intercooler upgrades I'd see NO problem with that on even only 15 psi. I'm easily there and then some, but with stock injectors, and stock IC and piping.

And don't worry about higher RPM power, on the stock IC and piping, peak power was at 5300. Better flow Via piping and IC I wouldn't be surprised if it extended up higher to 5500+ but of course it would still spool well, and have a nice fat torque curve.

Laters
Ryan

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
what series? 22? i've been eyeing a 50trim T3 with a .63 A/R comp side. i believe hot side is a .60 A/R I can pick this up for $250 (freshly rebuilt w/warranty from turbo technology)

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
my bad..thanks for the correction :)

but is $250 a good price for a rebuilt RayJay turbo? at least I believe it's a rayjay...when i last looked at it...it didn't have company logo on it...it could be a BAE Turbo as well.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be suspect of any turbo that went for $250 rebuilt. Not to say that you can't find a quality rebuild for that price, but for the parts and or labor as well as the turbo itself, thats rather cheap. Whomever you're getting it from either 1) has a huge inventory 2) or is probably using cheap parts for their rebuilds.

You gotta be careful these days as turbos are in high demand, high demand brings fraud even if it doesn't cost you much. Some of these eBay guys are ripping people off for a mere $3.00 at a time.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here's some info on the 323 GT-R made my Mazda for their rally winning overseas car we never got, granted the turbo was different than the 1.8 BP as well. The turbo used in the 323 GT-R (rally) was the RHF6CB turbocharger and has a 62.0-mm diameter turbine and a large 65.0-mm compressor. By comparison the turbo for the BPD 1.8 liter engine that powers the GT-R has a 52.5-mm diameter turbine and a 52.5-mm compressor.

The RHF6 map:

And is good for 3.3~16.5 m³/min or 109.5~582.7 CFM with 3.0 being the max Pr.

And looks like this:

Anyone looking to buy one might want to talk to this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IHI-TURBO-T3-Civic-Accord-Celica-Integra-Neon-Eclipse_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8024858939QQrdZ1

Seems like he might work with you on the price in installments, this turbo IS a BB unit...just an FYI.

Or if you're looking for a larger unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-IHI-RHE61-600HP-TURBO-SUPRA-RX7-CAMARO-MUSTANG-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8025228469QQrdZ1

The RHE61:

Which is non BB and is a "floating bearing" design but flows 3.3~17.5 m³/min or 116.5~618 CFM and has a maximum Pr of 3.3 (roughly 34 psi). It also uses a twin scroll inside the exhaust housing. The RHF6 and RHE61 are not used by Fuji Heavy Ind. The RHE61 AFAIK is found in Isuzu Heavy Construction vehicles and the RHE61 is used by a Nissan diesel application. The model seems to be VD49.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
SixSick6 said:
I'd be suspect of any turbo that went for $250 rebuilt. Not to say that you can't find a quality rebuild for that price, but for the parts and or labor as well as the turbo itself, thats rather cheap. Whomever you're getting it from either 1) has a huge inventory 2) or is probably using cheap parts for their rebuilds.

You gotta be careful these days as turbos are in high demand, high demand brings fraud even if it doesn't cost you much. Some of these eBay guys are ripping people off for a mere $3.00 at a time.
The guy at Turbo Technology said someone sent it in, wanted a rebuild, then renigged on paying for it. So all they want is the cost of the parts for the rebuild.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I still need to look at a couple of those turbos on the link you sent me. But as far as the MAP you sent me, it's a lil above and beyond what we could use for our motor, but is starts at a low PR and low turbine rpm so you'd probably be able to get some use out it.

http://www.turboengineering.com

The 3.6 Pr line would be close to 40 psi and even if you ran 20 psi (a 2.36 Pr) you'd still only be at 29 lbs/min at 6,000 rpm. You could get some use out of this turbo but until you figured out how to run 20-30 psi it would basically be useless. In order to pass through the "island" you'd need at least a 2.4 Pr (22-23 psi) and would still only be at the 2.4 Pr and 22 lbs/min mark at 4,000 rpm. Now if you could find a way to get 22-24 psi out of this turbo at low rpm, you'd pass through the lower half of the "island" and end up with 30lbs/min at 6,000 rpm. But, when you convert lbs/min to cfm you'd get roughly 480 cfm and you'd get much better results with a much smaller turbo with a map hooked to the left and far less max potential.

Too much turbo and not enough engine.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
werd. i believe I have one picked out :)

i can get a brand new boxed T28 dual BB from Nissan for $825, or a GT28RS for $1100. I went and talked to my nissan guy, he's going to hook me up :)

he also said he's experimenting with I/C placement...and said he would get a larger one in without hacking and still making it look stealth. :tup:

looks like i need to start saving my money :)

on a side note....he had an R32 skyline he was working on...it had "Peach Tea" stickers all over it...anyone heard of it? i think i've seen it in SC magazine. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts