Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me with a vibration problem during acceleration. Worse at high speeds, I have not been able to pin point cause, Any Suggestions???

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Newmx6guy said:
Can someone help me with a vibration problem during acceleration. Worse at high speeds, I have not been able to pin point cause, Any Suggestions???
CV joints?
Wheel bearings?
Tire belt-shift?
Thrown wheel weight?
Alignment?
Ball joint(s) and tie-rods?

A few ideas anyway...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had the front end aligned, tires balanced, new tires. Vibration is worse at high speeds but only during acceleration. If you let off the acceleration the car is nice and smooth. From your list it sounds like a CV joint would be the most likely possibility.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have this problem. The guys on probetalk say its most likely fouled wires or plugs. So I got myself a new set of plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, oil filter, and pcv valve. The whole thing was like $110 at carparts.com with a coupon. Oh yeh, and when I first got my car I was running crap gas, now I run 93 and it has really minimized the hesitation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like CV Joints

It definately sounds like you CV Joints. Mine just went out and I had them replaced. I'll tell you what though. I went aftermarket, cost bout 500 for parts versus 1000 buck for factory and I'm already thinking I may have made a bad decision. Now, in hard acceleration in 2nd gear, the car vibrates like what your talking about. I called the dealer and they said its because the aftermarket CV's do not flex as much. Any ideas or comments on this? I'm hoping they'll seat themselves better over time...

·
Registered
488 Posts
I really doubt that would be the reason, the CV boot just doesn't have to move that much, unless you wheels are really bouncing up and down a lot. Also you can get axles from Raxels.com for about $220 a pair, with new u-joints on them. I'm ordering a set tonight as I have finally torn both outer boots and it's easier to replace the axles than the boot, especially since I need to replace the clutch and am putting in a lightened flywheel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a vibration in my 93 Ls and I thought that it was my inner CV joint but it was actually my Cat plugging up as it vibrated in 2nd and 3rd gear and at 60 mph. Then as I kept driving it evenually I notice lack of power.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's a cat?

What's a cat?
As in catback exaust?
Should I check this?
Can it be fixed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts