Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the problem. Sometimes when I start the car and put the car in gear (93 Auto V6), the voltage rapidly drops from 14.5 down to 12v,and sometimes even to 11.6v with and without electrical load, when it's not in gear the voltage goes up to normal (13.6v - 14.8v). When this began to happen I put a voltmeter in my cigarette lighter to check the voltage .What could be wrong? I had the battery checked and the battery is fine, and I had the alternator replaced 1yr ago?
:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
wierd

check out your alternator belt and pulleyt set. did you replace the alternator with a new piece, or used/rebuilt? either way it should be fine. Lots of the mazda autos have problems with RPMs or voltage drops in gear. once you get the car moving dsoes your voltage come back up? or stay low? a lot fo times, once you get it moving it will speed that pulley up a bit and bring you back up to normal, but I dont think you should be sitting way up at 14 volts anyway, its a closed circuit 12v system. I think Id have that alternator checked. Does your battery charge light come on at all?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
does the voltage drop when you put the car into gear or only when you start it? if its only when you start it, thats normal. the power to the cig lighter turns off when the starter is turning. if its everytime you put the car in gear, take your battery to autozone and have it tested, if thats not it, have your alternator tested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Voltage Drop

yes, a couple of times the battery charge light came on but went out. I had the battery checked at autozone and the battery is fine, I have'nt had the alternator checked yet. And the RPMS do not drop when I put it in gear . I'm starting to think I got a bad alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts