Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone install a volts meter in there car? If so can you explain how to install it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK guys I'll handle this one :)

Hey Mak6 .... I gather you already have a volt meter so what I'm saying will make sense.

Work out where you want to put the VM.
I wont go into the possible places they can be fitted, but I suggest down low near the shifter.

Disconnect your battery.

There should be 4 connectors on the back of the VM (volt meter) but there may only be 3 depending on the type.

There will be a pair of spade terminals sticking outta the back (arranged in a " T ") one will be marked + and the other - . You will need to connect the + to a wire that is "live" when the accesories are on, so depending on where you mount the guage as to where you connect. The - terminal needs to be connected to earth, make sure the connection to the body metal is good and solid then smear some grease on the body connection to stop corrosion (btw make sure its metal, not plastic). The connection wire doesn't need to be massive (0.7mm or speakerwire) as your only sampleing, not carrying current like in a AMP meter.

OK your VM should be working now, but not when the car is unattended, so your battery wont go flat (not much chance of that but its possible)

Next is the illumination, these terminals are usually little [email protected]#$% that are hard to find plugs for, if yours are this type try your local Audio store for terminals. The VM may only have 1 terminal on the illumination (shared negative from supply) in this case you will only need to connect a wire from the illumination socket to an existing illumination wire behind the dash. If it is of the first type you'll also need to run an earth back to the body as in the first part (its ok to tap into the first one rather than running two).

OK look back over what you have done...... are there any bare wires or exposed connectors ? if there are grab some electrical tape (Auto store) and tape them up so no wires show.

OK connect your battery .... if you get heaps of sparks as your connecting the battery, something has gone wrong, so check over what you've done.

Check the VM & illumination work then enjoy :cool:

Any hassles drop me a line

Wòó

1 - 3 of 3 Posts