Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the alltrac has been down since febuary with a blown turbo and various other issues.

Today I started her up with her new gt30 ball bearing turbo, water to air intercooler, 3in downpipe, hks evc boost controller, and Hks ssqv. :D

I only took her around the block a few times but damn does it feel good to drive my own car again.

Still need to sort out some vacuum/boost leaks and figure out why its running so rich but so far so good.

I'm also not entirely sure the wastegate is functioning properly. I hit 13 psi (woops that ball bearing turbo spools fast) and I thought I had a 7.5 psi wastegate (its internal) I got the turbo used however and its possible I actually have a 12 psi gate :shrug:

Still need to install my safc and see if I can keep it from running so pig rich.

anyway I'm pumped.

Turbo cars=win

Turbo cars that actually move= super win

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried to get pics but have failed miserably. Monday I had a digital camera and no memory card. So I brought the memory card with me yesterday only to find out my girlfriend had brought the camera back to my place:sigh: I will try again today.

Its finally idling correctly but there's still something wrong with it. It drives fine off boost but when you start to get on it either chugs a bit and then goes or just falls on it face. I was thinking boost leak initially but now I leaning towards something spark related. Should have bought that msd box off you nealio

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
maybe it's fuel related? what do you have controlling fuel/spark?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its running the stock ecu. Only fuel/spark related mod is a walbro pump.

Pictures have been taken and will be posted later tonight

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Can the stock ECU take the amount of upgrades you did to it? :freak:

Also, why such a large turbo? you going for upwards of 400hp?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the stock ecu can handle up to about 275 awhp. The ecu runs pig rich from the factory you can actually get better a/f ratios when you upgrade from the tiny stock turbo.

The turbos not as big as it sounds. There are actually 5 different gt30 center cartridges. The -10 through -14. The gt30s everyone talks about are typically the gt3071 and gt3076 which are the only preassembled ones garrett sells. They both use the -12 center.

My turbo uses the smallest chra the -10. It also uses a small Subaru style turbine housing. The turbos good to about 325-350awhp, but its sweet spot is right around 300awhp. I plan to start by running around 15-17psi which should net me around 250-270awhp.

Then next year is standalone time with bigger injectors and 300+hp. I'll actually probably end up with an even bigger turbo then the current one.

heres some very crappy pictures

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Stock ECU can handle that much huh? Nice, kind of like how the ECU for an SC300 can compensate for 8psi :)

Looks good, but you need to swap your SSQV for my SQV :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts