Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i also posted a thread in the mods section as well. This thread is being written to everyone out there with an MX6/Probe with the 2.5L V6. When this engine was produced it was praised by all of the major car publications as the best in class motor built. It still is to date. SCC and Turbo magazine had there fun with our vehicle around a year or two ago. They tackled every aspect of the vehicle that should make horsepower when modified and came up with nothing. After a few installments they dropped the project because it was to costly. There is no cheap horsepower to be found with the KL-03 engine. A $600.00 Greddy exhaust will give you 2-3 HP, where as an intake of anykind will give you 1HP. Putting headers and reprogramming the ECU can cost another thousand dollars for maybe 4-5 HP. The fact is there is no way to make real recognizable horsepower with that engine. The great thing about that is since it will cost you around $10,000.00 for a KL-ZE engine with a stroker kit from Probe Industries, and a TKT twin Turbo kit. We all know that there are not that many Probes/MX6's in the country with those king of modifications done to them. Our engine with the proper, costly modifications will run between 400-650HP. You are talking about a $25,000 investment in just the engine and the management of it to make that kind of horsepower. Just ask the pro's running 600+HP with their Honda's how much of an investment they took on there car. When that figure is said make sure you are sitting. 9 and 10 second Honda's at the track cost a lot. I think that our car has a lot of potential. For all the owners out there, hang in there. Talk to you soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it's funny how SCC didnt hesitate to drop in a turbo/super charger in the civic si, impreza 2.5, sentra se-r..etc.. but not the probe...they just simply gave up..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very True

I thought the same thing. They wanted to show a trend. SCC did not want to just throw on a blower and said Were Finished. They like the motors with hugh amount of untapped HP.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Re: Very True Indeed

dcphinfan said:
I thought the same thing. They wanted to show a trend. SCC did not want to just throw on a blower and said Were Finished. They like the motors with hugh amount of untapped HP.
The KL series has easily the potential of their beloved Acura Type-R: the 'ZE makes 200HP in the Japanese market. Total amateurs within our "community" of Probe & MX6 (and even 626) owners are bolting on home-made turbo kits on and getting 225HP to the wheels. Gerry Sica is turning 180HP or so to the wheels with bolt-on mods, all-motor (for reference, a 195HP Type-R puts 167HP to the wheels according to the latest edition of SCC...) The potential is there.

SCC said they were going to do [paraphrasing] "whatever it takes", including mention, I believe, of cams, to get the most out of the engine. Instead, they bolted on flashy pedals, a shiftknob, a shitty HKS intake (breathing hot radiator-air) and an HKS exhaust. They did headers later but showed no real gain.

The project was rudderless from the get-go, their opening words notwithstanding. Did they ever took the intake off? I seem to recall mention of extrude honing or something... Certainly, a valve cover never came off the car. They spent more than a year's worth of issues and untold thousands of dollars on Project MR2. I have the Oct/98 issue beside me: the Project Sentra SE-R that I just saw in that issue is still going today - that's two YEARS of Sentra project! We had, what, 4 issues spread over 10 months or something?

It's a shame they didn't start with an MX6. The PGT, having a Ford badge, probably didn't sit well with the editorial staff nor the Honda hordes that make up 99% of that ragazine's readership. I can only imagine the hate mail that dufus Saavedra recieved for daring to put a Ford (!) in SCC. At least if it was an MX6, (read "Japanese"), it might have stood a chance to have a fair amount of resources and effort put into it.

My 2c.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Stop talking...

I hear alot of bitching about the demise of SCC probe. I didn't like it much either even though I can understand some of the problems with the project. Let's not stop with us whinning about how 'unfair' we think it is. I am getting ready to e-mail them and let them know that I am all for another Probe/MX-6 project car. Hell, maybe the will use my M-Ride for it. We have the largest MX-6 site on the net... let's use it and put some pressure on SCC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would love to see them do another project probe, or even a mx-6...but this time around get serious with the project and not bitch about everything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree totally

Our engines will need some really good working up to the limits as well as a full perfromance test with the mods ie 1/4mile and topend run.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We'll need some prrof to back up our claim though. We need to send real proof (dyno sheets) of these modded cars. Don't expect SCC or any other magazine to believe claims of 40% hp increase at the wheels on your say-so. Perhaps this sight could have it's own project car, someone that starts with a stock MX6 and succesfully mods it up to a real street fighter. Memebers could volunteer ideas for mods, giving detailed instructions (w/ pics.) of the upgrades. This could then be built into a library of MX6/ Probe mods.
Perhaps even a ladder (stages) to follow in upgrades. Wouldn't it be great to go to a car show, and, like all the Z owners, 'stang owners, or Honda owners, say,"I have a Stage IV MX6!" and have people ooh and ahh at the car?

sorry, 2-1/2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts