Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 89' TX5 Turbo AT and just used this forum to remove the head to do the head gasket myself (big deal for me :) ). Now I have my hands dirty I am trying to understand what I can do to get more power. Basically everything is still stock and in good nick. Any opinions you guys would have would be great as I am really a beginnner but want to get an understanding.

As I understand it the TX5 is the same as the MX6 under the bonnet but rebadged.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Well done on the head work :)

If shes stock start looking at boost controllers, bigger front mounts, new chip to change the fuel cut and stuff (woo chip most people use), new zorst to increase the power

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thanks. I really didn't know anything but since getting the MX6 maintence manual off this site it was reasonably simple :) not!

Thanks for your response but lets say that cash flow is an issue. Whaty would you start with for more power but low cash?

Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
I dunno if you do this already or not, but i found better quality fuel helped (98 as compared to 92)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
More power with low cash?

Unbolt the rear seats and sell them. You dont get power for no money, weight reduction is your only real option

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
cheapest and most effective power mod would be a manual boost controller/bleeder :)

20-30hp gains from a $10 worth of parts.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Cheap = turbotech manual boost controller ($25 and a little for fittings and hose)

Not so cheap = above + cat back 2 1/2" exhaust (about $250 - $300 for press bend mild steel or upto $1000 for mandrel stainless)

Not cheap but good value = Woo's mod (Barry at ozmazda e-mail [email protected] IIRC) ($300)
remapped fuel and ignition curves to improve drivablility, power, remove airflow cut, remove speed limiter, allow larger turbo's and much higher boost.
Good for upto 250 crank HP on stock fuel system, with the right turbo.

Not cheap but needed if you raise boost = upgraded intercooler ($400 - $1500 depending on if you do it yourself, estimatate includes pipes and coupers and clamps)
A smallish one will fit a lot easier, mine is 450 x 300 x 76 and fit with only the ribs on the front bar needing to be cut off.

After that it starts to get quite expensive with upgraded turbo's and even stand alone EFI systems being the next steps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
woo chip, full turbo back exhaust, bigger turbo, boost controller, but all cost money. best bang for buck straight up a boost controller. wind a couple extra psi through it....

·
Registered
28 Posts
If ur going 2 wind up ur boost pressures i wld suggested connecting an air/fuel ratio
to monitor the mixture, 2 lean and combustion temperatures will rise alot and cld cause detrimental damage to ur motor.
How high can u raise boost levels safely on the stock motor?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
AFR monitor on Gd /1st gen is useless waste of time
90% of AFR monitors connected ot narrowband 02 sensors mean F-N-all. Especially on newer cars as well. For those moving on. Understadn new cars run as low as 15.5 on closed loop. Soem euros now go down to 17 even. I currently run my FE DOHC on 15 at idle and crusie.

On 1st gen yes Manual bosot controller cheapest but most cost effective is a 3inch full system usually with 2.5inch fron stock dump spread to 3inch a - Real hi flow cat. and simple system.
This gives you best of both higher boost, but quicker spool and more power through better breathing. the difference between a 2.5inch restriction type to 3inch just pipe one can feel at 4500-6000rpm.

it will give you boost and you will hit boost cut as well if everything is just about right. Then a simple adjustment with bleedvalve will take it back down.

Even on Woo chip they run excessively rich but will run leaner mid way on the map if it spikes high.

stock ECU is easily safe to 12psi. cut out is 10-12psi depending on your modifications and condition of car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
with a stock ecu you can go to about 12 psi and you'll get fuel cut. this is there to protect the engine from overboosting and wont do any damage as long as the engine doesnt start to knock. a better flowing exhaust to get some heat out of the turbo and 98 octane fuel is plenty to keep this from happening. to go higher than 12psi u need a woo chip or similar fuel cut eliminator

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Welcome to the site. First up, I would do a complete service. Make sure that it's running well before you start to fiddle with anything. A 2.5" crush bent exhaust would be my first step. It is possible to make 150kw+ atw with a crush bent exhaust on these motors, so mandrel bent exhausts are a waste of cash in my opinion.
Get yourself a 30dollar pod filter with adaptor from your favourite parts store. Autobarn, repco, bursons, etc. The car should srtort to feel fairly quick now with it boosting to about 9psi. A turbotech boost controller like MX_Masta has mentioned for a grand total for about 30 bucks will see you boosting to the limit of the factory fuel maps at 12psi. Anymore than this and you will be getting ignition cut, causing a beeping noise and the car to stop accelerating.
Next step is a Woo chip. For your car a Woo chip should be about $250 being an 89 model. This will allow you to run up to 18psi safely on the stock ECU.

So to summarise:
2.5" crush bent exhaust - $250
Pod filter and adaptor - $30
Turbotech - $30
Woo chip - $250

So $600 should get you a car that is capable of running a low 14second quarter mile assuming it's manual. It'll give the v8 boys a run for their money off the line too.

You mean [email protected]. Make sure you have ECU in the subject title.

Let us know how you go :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at doing exhausts for starters now. I am still keen on hearing all opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Where abouts are you located? If you're in Melbourne, I can suggest a good exhaust shop.

Ferndale Exhausts & Automotive Centre

Factory 2/ 1 Rushdale St, Scoresby, VIC 3179

p: (03) 97648490

Tell them that TX5 turbo Scott sent you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I probably will give them a call. I am in Melbourne Sth East suburbs so thats not too far from me at all.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
No worries.

Ask to Speak with Pete. Just remember to tell him that TX5 turbo Scott sent you. He should do you a good deal on a cat back.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
those telstars are hot hot hot.

like a mix between the Ford EXP and Mustang.

Sabbai, is that a touring sedan?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts