Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I may have a chance to buy a RHD 94 RX7 or a RHD 94 GT4 Celica.

I know which one I want, but whats your opinions on each car?
Give me what YOU think are the pros and cons of each vehicle. Now keep in mind I have 1 kid, and one on the way. But from Jap Land the rx7 comes with bucket seats. Anyways what do you guys think.

Feen

·
Registered
499 Posts
GOD MAN!!! DON'T BE A FOOL!!! TAKE THE RX!!!!! TO HELL WITH THE KID(S). LMAO, just kidding 'bout the kid part, I have one, and one on the way. Seriously, I would love a RHD RX-7. That would be my pick.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do any of you have opinions on the All trac?

i want (desperately) the rx7, but i might have to bite my lip as we buy the GT4.

feen

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
practicality = GT4, and with mods, could well be pushing the mid 300's anyways.. fun and room for the shopping ;)

what more could you want ??

damn i forgot.. your the female of the spieces.. forget that last bit... what was i thinking .. stupid stupid stupid.. :p

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I'd say the Celica. Ample power and a Yamaha powertrain. That kicks the snot out of 13B reliability right there. Think SHO motor but in a 2.2L engine size.

If you want easy to work on and low cost maintenance, get the Celica. Want a possible headache and yearly rebuilds, buy your dream car...the RX7.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
ummmm... rx7 all thew way.. and judging by the dream gf thread, our opinions shouldn't even matter here.. so why question yourself?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
the GT4 if it were me with 2 kids.
the all-trac makes it much safer in the snow.

·
Registered
939 Posts
what are the prices running feen...
as mentioned in dream car thread this guy i know got a mint 7 same color for 10-5
lemme know if u want detaisl

o btw.... Rx7 is my vote.... i dislike so very much those celica headlights

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Buy the 7. You want it and you just need to rub some peoples faces in it lol.

The 7 has no real issues dispite it's reputation. Just do all the reccomended maintinance like cleaning the injectors replacing the factory fuel pump and if the stock TT system is in place replace all vac lines with high grade silicone lines. Not that cheap parts store crap, it'll colapse under vacuum. Just buy the best one you can and dont make the same mistakes others have and then blame the car ;)

The toyota is very reliable but it is not a Yamaha motor simply a reworked toyota engine, like the SHO was a reworked Ford engine except the ford was much more drasticaly changed. The same 3S engine came in all Celica turbo 4's and many other toyotas.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
just remember you cant go 2 crappy tire or part source 4 "rotory oil" good luck finding that in these ages remember 2 top up oil after every full tank of gas used~ that's a pain the a$$

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
just remember you cant go 2 crappy tire or part source 4 "rotory oil" good luck finding that in these ages remember 2 top up oil after every full tank of gas used~ that's a pain the a$$
Where are you getting this stuff from? Rotory engines use regular oil. It's not reccomended you use synthetic as it will tend to foul the plugs but any quality petrolium oil will work fine.

You do NOT need to top off the oil with every tank. If the injection system is working as designed then the oil consumption should be very minimal and for most cars you shouldnt have to wory about it at all since you SHOULD be doing your normal 3K mile oil change before the level became an issue.

In FEENs case though i dont doubt she will maintain the oil level religiously and change it more frequently since she will be driving it qiute hard and even racing it.

It's a good idea to change your fluids before and after any track days regardless of what kind of car you drive. Even if it's a Toyota and will likely be more forgiving of such abuse if you dont.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
my bad dont need 2 use rotory oil it was full synthetic. semi is alrite but still.. do you know how much oil you are going 2 burn every 1k the motor burns almost almost 1liter of oil.. plz dont give me your rubish i work 4 mazda i see these cars all the time.. also dont tell me your going 2 drive like granny with a twin turbo rx7 i'm sure i would be beating the shit out of it.. mazda was built for performence zoom zoom boom.. we used 2 sell rotory oil 4 these cars but mazda stopped using them so we dont sell them anymore. it's the fact these cars are very hard 2 maintain... FTL on that

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
my bad dont need 2 use rotory oil it was full synthetic. semi is alrite but still.. do you know how much oil you are going 2 burn every 1k the motor burns almost almost 1liter of oil.. plz dont give me your rubish i work 4 mazda i see these cars all the time.. also dont tell me your going 2 drive like granny with a twin turbo rx7 i'm sure i would be beating the [shizzle] out of it.. mazda was built for performence zoom zoom boom.. we used 2 sell rotory oil 4 these cars but mazda stopped using them so we dont sell them anymore. it's the fact these cars are very hard 2 maintain... FTL on that
Just because you work for Mazda doesn't mean you know anything about them. Oil is oil. There is no such garbage as a rotary oil.

Rotary vehicles use less moving parts, both internally and externally, than conventional engines. The part that gets them is the rebuild cycle because rather than timing belts or chains, they require replacement of apex seals, which are internal. The cost is just slightly more than that of a timing belt replacement on say, the MX6.

As for oil consumption, they do burn oil...all rotary engines do. The reason isn't because of how you drive it, it's because of how they are built. Oil is injected into the banks to lubricate the apex seals as they wobble around. Doing so, the combustion cycle burns off this oil and more is then required to be injected for lubrication.

Get your facts straight before you go dropping "I work for them". So did I...

The toyota is very reliable but it is not a Yamaha motor simply a reworked toyota engine, like the SHO was a reworked Ford engine except the ford was much more drasticaly changed. The same 3S engine came in all Celica turbo 4's and many other toyotas.
Very true, however the 13B engine in question was not a very reliable engine and without work, they don't tend to be the greatest of choices. The Toyota, for long term cost reasons, is a better choice. I have a friend running the 2.2L in his Celica and it's extremely powerfull, pushing into the 350whp+ range with simple, simple mods and a tune. The 13B can't do that without croaking at some point or another.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ARGH!!!!

well now when we go to the bank, were gunna look at a loan enough for 2 cars, and if we can we'll drive out to BC and drive them 2 back.

Other then that-- were still arguing with what were gunna get. Dont get me wrong when we had this celica, i liked it, but if were gunna import one i want my dream car. PERIOD.

If it was all me, it would be the 7. If it was all him, it would be the GT4. Goddamn decision making with your significant other :(

Ill be keeping you guys posted.

Feen

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Just because you work for Mazda doesn't mean you know anything about them. Oil is oil. There is no such garbage as a rotary oil.

Rotary vehicles use less moving parts, both internally and externally, than conventional engines. The part that gets them is the rebuild cycle because rather than timing belts or chains, they require replacement of apex seals, which are internal. The cost is just slightly more than that of a timing belt replacement on say, the MX6.

As for oil consumption, they do burn oil...all rotary engines do. The reason isn't because of how you drive it, it's because of how they are built. Oil is injected into the banks to lubricate the apex seals as they wobble around. Doing so, the combustion cycle burns off this oil and more is then required to be injected for lubrication.

Get your facts straight before you go dropping "I work for them". So did I...

Very true, however the 13B engine in question was not a very reliable engine and without work, they don't tend to be the greatest of choices. The Toyota, for long term cost reasons, is a better choice. I have a friend running the 2.2L in his Celica and it's extremely powerfull, pushing into the 350whp+ range with simple, simple mods and a tune. The 13B can't do that without croaking at some point or another.
yes i understand the way rotory works it's a pain in the a$$ to have car maintained i rather not deal with that shit @ all always wondering if there is enough oil in the motor. like i said before great car just not ment for me..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts