Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Wanted: VJ11/tbird hybrid + custom o2 Housing and dump dips

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mistert41 
#1 ·
Hi guys.
I am looking for a tbird hybrid turboor a tbird turbo that I can make into a hybrid as well as a a 2.5” o2 housing and dump pipe.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Have a pic of this? I'm interested. But as always, trying to figure this out.

It's an additional bung so I can run wideband correct? Therefore not replacing the factory or risking cel. Picture should explain, but is it requiring the stock manifold?

Thanks for any info.

#5 ·
It's best to run the wideband o2 in the downpipe not the o2 housing.
So run the narrowband o2 sensor in the o2housing and have a bung welded to the downpipe.

you don't want a hybrid anything, you want a ford thunderbird IHI center section and compressor housing or a 1991 - 1994 subaru legacy 5speed manual VF11 turbo it's the same as a t-bird and also fits in the vj11 turbine housing.
If you put a compressor wheel on a vj11 you have to have the turbo shaft and wheels balanced and the upgrade isn't worth the expense of a balancing or hassle of disassembling the turbo.

I don't know what your power goals are, but if you want to make any real power than move to garrett turbo's right away, IHI and Mistubishi turbo's don't fair well with the F2T, they have small compressor housings that create lot's of heat and due to the low end flow/torque of the engine they have sudden spool up and the turbo bearings don't like that. Any turbo with as small center shaft will eventually die at high boost on an F2T.

If your power goals are modest than get the T-bird or FV11 and the O2 housing, put in premium gas and run 15psi.
Turbos have a flow rating in CFM or Lb/min this is their maximum flow within their efficiency zone. With some turbo's you can pass that area if you can cool the charge air properly but not with small IHI, from what I recall the VJ-11 is rated to flow 21lb/min about 210 Bhp worth of air (about 180whp). any more and the center shaft will snap in two and it's not boost related but air flow related so the more supporting mods that are added (intercooler pipe upgrade, ported head, better flowing exhaust manifold, O2 housing, larger exhaust ...) the less boost it takes to hit the 21lb/min wall, the only improvements to be had with better flow are in spool up and how the turbo breaths at higher rpm but the maximum flow limit stays the same.
A garret/air research 45trim T3 is also rated to flow 21 lb/min but will handle 25psi + boost and handle support mods, you can flow 31lb/min through the a t3 45 trim all day long without killing the turbo or bearings.

The easiest is getting a T3 flanged manifold or have a flange welded to an F2T manifold and find a 1988/1989 saab 9000 with a T3 45trim, get the complete turbo, O2 housing and dowpipe and run that.
Afterwards upgrading the turbo, turbine housing, o2 housing... is bolt on with limitless option's of brands and trims that bolt to a T3 turbo flange rated up to and above 60lb/min air flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.