Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused as to where the wastegate goes. From what I've read, it goes on the downpipe, or sometime before the exhaust gas gets to the turbo, so that it can control boost. Am I right on this or way off?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
yamaha_rider28 said:
I'm confused as to where the wastegate goes. From what I've read, it goes on the downpipe, or sometime before the exhaust gas gets to the turbo, so that it can control boost. Am I right on this or way off?
bah i'm an idiot - ignore this explanation, probespeed's was correct.

G

·
It actually vents excess exhaust gasses. If your producing more exhaust gasses than you need to run the turbo at a certain boost pressure then the wastegate opens and vents exhaust gasses around the turbo charger so that the vented gasses are not used to spin the turbo.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
probespeed said:
It actually vents excess exhaust gasses. If your producing more exhaust gasses than you need to run the turbo at a certain boost pressure then the wastegate opens and vents exhaust gasses around the turbo charger so that the vented gasses are not used to spin the turbo.
my mistake.. i was focusing too much on the regulating boost aspect.. it is indeed exhaust. "do'h"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, I'm a little clearer on how it works now. But my original question remains unanswered. Where do you put the wastegate? At this point I'm considering getting a t3/t4 hybrid like this one, link and then buying an internal wastegate that will bolt up to it, like this. wastegate
From what those look like, I'll need one of these too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=2446072645
Could anyone tell me if that would work? I think internal would be alot easier than external.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts