Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I could put a pneumatic valve on the wastegate of the turbo on my Mx6 GT. It would give me 6lbs or 12lbs of boost. Could any one tell me where the wastegate is and how much boost it will give me? Any help would be greatly apperciated

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think you are talking about a boost controller. I believe you connect this to the wastegate and you can adjust the amount of boost, instead of the stock's 9psi (i think). The max you can go before hitting the fuel cut, is about 12psi.

The boost controller does not replace the wastegate. The idea behind the boost controller is so that you don't have to replace the wastegate. The wastegates on the GT is internal (most oem is this way), which means it is integrated within the turbo. A wastegate change are very expensive (turbo replacement).

So anyway, there are two type of controllers available. The manual controller and the electronic type. The manual type is the most simple and cheapest. I think the most popular one used on this board is the Dawes Device (www.dawesdevices.com), i believe it is $35. The manual ones require a you to manually adjust the pressure from under the hood with a wrench or rachet.

The electronic type allows you to adjust the boost "on-the-fly" so to speak, while inside the car. Popular ones are the HKS EVC IV SI or EZ, Greddy Profec A or B and Blitz makes one as well. All can be found at alamomotorsports.com (corksport.com sells the HKS one for cheaper). Each cost $500~600. The HKS EVC IV EZ and Profec B are cheaper at $200~300. The more expensive ones offer fuzzy logic, basically a learning computer. The computer, according to the companies, "learns" the turbo's charcteristics to reduce turbo lag, boost spike and increase power. In addition to the learning computer part, they include an integrated boost guage (although in BAR not PSI measurements, 1 bar = 32psi).

If you purchase either one of these devices, you'll need a boost guage.

hope this helps

Just for your info, I've been told that for every 1 psi of boost you add, you get 12hp. I haven't confirmed this however.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts