Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo wat up peoples? So who has replaced their fuel pumps? Did you guys get high-performance/hiigh-flow pumps? Do they even make any difference? What brands are good? I hear the Bosch pumps are good because they meet all OEM fuel performance specifications and requirements. Did you guys have any problems with your new pumps?

So now are the pumps located in the gas tank? Is it hard to get to it? About how much would the job cost if I took it to a mechanic? I have a '96 V6. If you guys have any info about all this, that would be awesome....

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
geet a Walbro 195L if you ever plan to do anything like n2o, boost etc.

Yes it dose go in the fuel tank. I'm not sure how long it takes, but I'll let you know after I put mine in this weekend.

It's about $85 for the walbro and it comes with all the goodies you need to switch it out with your stock pump.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo RDI, wat up? Thanks for your info. No I'm not gonna do n2o, will the Walbro still work though? So where did you get your Walbro from? Is it a good and safe pump? Does it meet OEM fuel specifications for the MX6? I hear that if it doesnt, the pump can really mess up your system if it pumps too much or too little gas. Where can i find out more info about the Walbro? That price is really good, i just called Mazda and theirs costs $265 and i'm not going there. :)
Thanks man and I hope it goes well with your job this weekend, let me know.... LaTeR

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes the Walbro will still work. It is a direct replacement, but will also give you room to grow if you decide to go with NOS or a turbo later. If not, it'll still work just as good as the stock. A fuel pump will only put out the amount of fuel you need so getting a bigger one doesn't hurt it just gives you room to grow.

The best place to get this pump is:

http://members.home.com/syclone/APE/fuelpump.html

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey cool, thanks Cam. So do you have a Walbro in your MX6? Did you replace it yourself? I'm wondering if I can do it or if I should take it to a mechanic. Is this the best pump out there for the MX6 or are there other ones too? Do you know much about the Bosch pumps? I'm sure they are more expensive.
So what is the ltr/hr for the stock pump from Mazda? If you know that would be great. I think I might go for the Walbro. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the right/best pump.

Thanks and LaTeR...

·
Registered
54 Posts
No I don't have it yet. I haven't had a need to get a new fuel pump as my old one is working fine and I don't run nos or a turbo. I may be getting NOS in the next couple of months and if I do I will definetly be getting a new fuel pump and that is the one that I'll get. It is generally agreed that the Walbro pumps are the best for our cars. You can find tons of info here or at Probetalk if you do a search under "Fuel Pump".

Replacement shouldn't be that hard. While I haven't done it on my MX-6, I have done it on other cars and it has never been a problem for me. You can probably find directions for the procedure if you look at Probetalk.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when DO the stock fuel pumps need replacing? About after how many thousand miles??? Or do they ever need replacing?

Thanks and LaTeR...

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Fuel pumps, like water pumps, only need replacing when they fail to provide sufficent fuel at adequate pressures or if they get noisy. This doesn't happen often. Another reason to replace the pump would be NOS or forced-induction upgrades as others have mentioned. Upgrading to a higher-capacity pump on a stock or near-stock car will result in zero gains since the OEM pump is quite capable of feeding a fair amount more power than the stock output requires. Not big NOS or FI outputs, but more than, say, 35HP more since KLZE swaps rarely result in the need for a new fuel pump.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well I got mine in yesterday (after 2 striped SOCKETS!!) It took about 3 1/2 hours, but one of the bolts on the bars that hold up the fuel tank just wouldn't come off. I stripped sockets on that bolt...I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Anyway it's not to hard...it's just time consuming.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/5335/miscpage.htm
(click on In-tank fuel pump on the left - GREAT PAGE)

This page should take care of most of your questions. If you don't wanna spend the 100.00 on the aftermarket pump I'll sell you the one i just took out (was working perfectly) for $30.00

[email protected]

Good luck with you quest!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts