Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 95 MX-6 and noticed in the tire storage bin compartment that I had some standing water there. It's been raining a lot recently in South Florida, so my question is. Where could it be coming from? I have a few ideas but was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
thats a pretty common prolem for mx6's. ive got it in both of mine. the water comes from a bad seal between the trunk lid and weather stripping. my weather stripping isnt even dry rotted or anything, it looks almost new and water still comes in. some people have had luck replacing the seal and the water stops coming. but some people say theres a drain plug you can pull in the bottom of the trunk to let the water escape, i dont have one in either of my mx6's. if i was that worried about the water that gathers i would just drill a whole from underneath the car where the bottom of the tire holder is.

·
Registered
282 Posts
don't drill a hole in your trunk
get a tube of silicone. under 5 bucks at hd
take the rear light assembly off. both sides
seal up all around the screw holes, where the bumper has been screwed in, and everywhere it looks like water can get in. you'll see the little seams i'm talking about
you don't need big gobs, just a nice clean seal
i spent a winter with a trunk full of water
if you drill a hole in your trunk, you will still have a soggy carpet and those are real heavy
mx6 mantra: lose weight, go faster

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Yah, that is an excellent advice.

I've seen this problem in several Mx6, including one of my own.

It is rarely if ever your weather stripping, it is usually either of two problems.

1) There are several screws and push type holder in your trunk, if you are missing any of these it will expose a hole and water will seep in. You can find these little holes by opening your trunk and inspecting the areas on top of your trunk that is underneath the trunk when closed. You might find a hole or two that can than be sealed off with soem good tape.

2) Your tailights are leaking. This is the most common problem after the holes in the trunk. Often, after one or two fender benders, the seals that keeps water from entering your trunk from the taillights are loosened and allow water in.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
parisifal said:
2) Your tailights are leaking. This is the most common problem after the holes in the trunk. Often, after one or two fender benders, the seals that keeps water from entering your trunk from the taillights are loosened and allow water in.

Yeah, thats my case :mad:

·
Registered
787 Posts
There is already a hole in the floor of the tire well. Mine had a rubber plug in it so I popped it out from below with a screwdriver. Then I sealed the two screw heads visible when you open your trunk and look down at the closest thing to your johnson (no not your hand). These are on the OUTSIDE of the weatherstripping. Water runs down your trunk lid heading for the bumper, except it makes a detour and rolls under the trunk lid and drops onto this plastic upper bumper extension thing and collects on those screws. Then it goes in, under the carpet and down into the spare tire well. I just caulked those screws with plenty of jiz, made it look pretty and [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts