Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been beat into the ground, but could someone tell me how to solve the water in spare tire well problem? I just bought a 91 MX-6 LX and I want to fix the problem ASAP. Thanks alot!

Rich

·
Registered
332 Posts
Silicone chaulking around the tailight lens with the trunk open. Quick fix. Some say get a new gasket but that is what causes the leak. I siliconed mine 4 years ago and no more leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with water in the tire area a really good explaination of how to stop it once and for all would be nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I did not remove anything. Just open the trunk lid and chaulk around the lens where is meets the body of the car. This is the quickest fix for this problem. But is works too. I did mine 4 years ago and no problem since!!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I suggest getting the new seals from Mazda. They are about $10 each and will replace your current seals. They are also designed to last a bit longer. Just think about it, what if you wanted to get your taillight assembly out to replace a lense or something. Now you have all this caulk around it that you have to take off and redo. Besides the fact that unless you are good with caulk it will look ugly.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There is only 1 part number for the seal. You just need qty 2 of them for the rear lights. The part # for my 88mx6 was GJ21-51-158 for the amount of $10.20. List price for this is $13.60

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problam and just got tired of it i siliconed it and tried just about everything else but the one sure way that has worked for me was to just drill little holes in the bottom of the wheel storage units so the water can drain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I put in new taillight seals and I haven't noticed any water in the trunk. I definitely recommend doing this quick fix to anyone.

Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts