Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have no room for an intercooler, I am going down the path of water injection. I have no experience with these setups. Just after some advice etc. I have two options as far as how i control the flow. I have a S-HSV from cooling mist which is basically a fast acting solenoid that you feed a PWM signal to control. You run the pump at full pressure and depending on the duty cycle you feed it the water flow will vary. The other option is to control the speed of the pump to control flow.

Which one is more reliable? should I have some sought of flow detection?? Or just add whatever you might think relevant.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
no room for an intercooler? why not? pictures of your setup? Water injection is really not a replacement for intercooling. Have you looked into the water to air "barrel" style intercoooler? They're very compact but can do an excellent job cooling.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water injection can be a replacement for intercooling, it just isn't as good. It lowers the intake temps but the problem is the water vapor itself takes up space in the intake charge, leaving less room for air/fuel. Bumping up the pressure a bit can counteract this, which won't be a problem with a M90 on a 2.5ltr engine.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
huh nice setup. there really is no room for an intercooler setup haha.

I work in ultrasonic flow meters and we have a very large flow lab at my work. We always lower pump speed first to control flow then once we've reached the minimum pump speed we use valves to lower flow further.

Now our reasoning behind this is definetly pump reliability first. Our pumps are very expensive and we try to keep them operating at the lowest speeds necessary to increase their life span.

Personally I might try a duel control aproach. Have a gain control for both the pump and the hsv and toy with it a bit until you get optimal results.

Flow metering while it would be nice is going to be costly and more then likely unecessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts