Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

when I got my 1stgen, in rainy weather I found a small amount of water on front floormat. Earler I have fight big water leaks in golf cabrio, so I didn't pay big attention to this small leak, because carpet under mat wasn't wet, just on floormat.

At wintertime I sometimes got bored because of icy window (inner side, wah). To reduce moisture this year I tried to fix this annoying water leak.

To fix, remove right window wiper, panel behind wipers. Now you are able to access air vents, two plastic pieces. Right one is what you need to work on. Note that right side of it is on seal, which by time gets worn or comes off the body.

So I removed both vents, sprayed WD-40 like stuff on wipers driving mechanisms (connection points, which are moving). Cleaned out old crap. Also cleaned vents w/ pressured air, especially filtering fabric - they were extremely dirty (imagine, just 13 years).

After all I put back left vent, restored sealing for right vent with silicone sealer and put back right vent. I bit struggle to put back vent&filtering fabric together as fabric has small margins - use floss to attach fabric to vent. Floss can be removed when vent is installed.

Finally, put back panel over vents, right wiper, adjusted panel. Then car sit in parking lot for couple of days, sealer got tight (it smells terribly while hardening, I guess car isn't driveable same or two days).

Voila - after couple of rainy weeks no more water on floormat. Searched forum for this, but didn't find, so choose to describe. Have a dry mxing :)

note - left and right sides are from drivers perspective, looking from inside.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
water leak solution

Thanks for the advice. I've had some trouble with moisture and the windows icing inside also. The solution you suggested makes alot of sense. I wonder if left go, that the leak may cause other problems such as electrical under the dash. Good job tracking down the problem and explaining to us fellow "6"ers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes , I have the same problem !

Thank you for posting this !!! It should be added to a FAQ since i beleive its a fairly common problem. Now i know exactly where to look thanks to you.

Regards
Gullwing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad to add value to forums which have helped me solving my problems.

I don't know if this very common thing but have heard from couple of mx/626 owners, so I count it as well-known problem for our cars.

Regarding electricity problems you are right - water is extra stuff under dash. Luck is that leak is on passengers side and can impact, mostly, air vent motor. Though note that water have been there for years, some metallic parts got rust on them but everything worked well. Wires aren't damaged, how far I explored.
In golf cabrio leak was on drivers side, main fuse box was under impact, so imagine all that problems caused by this....

here I added details explaining how water flows to floormat:

After water soaks through worn sealing, it flows to outer side of car, towards front wing. Note that on right side is air intake compartment for heating system (hard to see, but possible when wiper and cover panel removed - this explains how water travels into). If you remove dash lower part cover on passengers side (2 screws in glove box, 2 just over foots and one in side of air flows regulator - right door has to be opened), you can see all that air tubes. Removing dash cover (it comes together w/ glove box), be aware to disconnect lamp wire from glove box and two wires going to speaker to allow dash cover to lie down on floor.
I found that one side of air tube for heater is loosened (one bolt from two), where it connects to intake piece - look over air vent motor. Fastened also that bolt, there's foam between tube and intake piece, but can't seal when water comes into.
From tube water leaks down by vent motor (lower end has rust on it), accumulates inside shelf over passengers foots and when full, by guide drips out - exactly on floormat.
While not fixed, good workaround is to keep rubber floormat under dash which can accumulate water over night.

And finally, thanks to Kirill626 from which I got tip to air vents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts