Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well yeah AGAIN after I finally fixed the turbo water cooling hsoe leakage by taking the turbo out and cleaning the pipes, I have another problem now...

Today I went to install the new boost gauge that I bought and noticed that heaps of coolant is on the ground, in the garage....put the jack and lifted the car up and its comming from behind or above the main pulley....I checked around the engine mount and the head and that pipe that goes into the water pump and it was all dry...so I assume that this is from the lower section of the timing belt area....

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? Or has anyone recently had this problem or did the water pump?

Its now late to call and get some quota's so thought you guys migt be able to tell me how much will it cost roughly...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks....my belts are all fine..they are good its the water pump that I guess I need to change cause leaking appears to be from the pump...$120 doesnt sound too bad....well does it come with any gaskets?

thanks bro!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Im pretty sure it comes with a gasket, I got a repco one and im pretty sure it came with everything you need. There is only one gasket.

I have just used gasket goo before on water pumps on other cars, dont know about the mx6 though.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well its good then, I know for other cars the water pump comes with gasket but wasnt sure about ours......thanks guys

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks..as the matter of fact I have a sealant spray which is pinkish colour and pretty strong. My dad used to use it on his cars and I used it for my exhaust gasket....

I will definitely use that on the water pump gasket cause I dont rely on gaskets by themselves....unless the car was a 2004-2005 model....but for a 15 year old...hehe goo is essential...

just wondering...if I wanna take off the water pump and stuff...it says adjust the cam shaft to the TDC position, which one is it? Do I have to set that mark on the pulley on "T" or "10"? because on a Ford Laser it was to be set on "10" Not "T"

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
10 and T are the timing marks, T should be TDC. There are other marks behind the cover if I remember properly, might be a dot or something. Few years since I have been in there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool..I just set it on 10 so I turn it a bit more and have it set to "T"...the genuine service manual doesnt say anything at all about it.....Im gonna work on it now so if its all good I will set it to "T" instead of "10"...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes mate thanks...I did that already, the number one cylinder mark need to be on the top while the mark on the pulley must be on "T"....

Finally, managed to change the water pump and the timing belt, but some strange noises from that area which I will be inspecting in an hour or so....

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
when putting hte mx6 engine backtogether, i could spin the cam 360 degrees with the number #1 piston on tdc.

so uyea its a non interferance engine.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I had some ideas to change the timing belt and it wasnt hard at all...the hardest part was taking the pulley out thats all....cause Ive done the timing belt change on an 87 magna with my dad....one of those chain belt onmes and I learnt about adhusting the timing and TDC mode and stuff like that....

the thing is all went great but now its plays funny...

ok here is a question for you guys:

If accidently the cam shaft pully got bent a bit during pulley removal, which happened while trying to lock it....is it gonna affect the valves and the overhead cam?

well before running the engine I kinda pushed it back in.....the camshaft pulley I mean...and it lookes as original and then before putting the cover on i started the engine and the belt and the pulley was running sweet....

its just when i rev up the vibrating/shaking noise/sound comes around.....not in idle....

I just have to hope that my head is OK....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GotF2TinGD said:
when putting hte mx6 engine backtogether, i could spin the cam 360 degrees with the number #1 piston on tdc.

so uyea its a non interferance engine.
thats good then...well I did do that so in this case i shouldnt be having any issues...but.....yeah another problem to solve...hehe....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: ok now that the waterpump and the timing belt and pullies are all changed...now there is another problem...hehe

well it drives normal fine but when I go over 4000rpm and tryiong to give it a bit of kick, it suddenly kinda make this shaking noise but i dont know how to describe it really...ok maybe i should make an example;

alright...do you know on carby engines before you start you press the accelerator and petrlo keeps on going into the cylinders? now when you start engine is on as you accelerate it feels like it wont let you accelerate cause too much fuel trying to burn and if you now what i mean it feels like its choking...

now on my 1st gen as it revs up over 4000 that type of thing (above example) happenes...well I dont think its from the timing section.....also i get the high idle on 1500 or sometimes 1000...then it kinda cuts out but engine still running, temp goes up to over half and all i gotta do is to drive smooth and sow until it cools and the temp comes down....

my boost gauge shows boost over 0 well near 5psi but i havent checked exactly when it happenes and how much boost I get when i kick it and it kicks in cause it wont let me get there....

what else could it be?

my mechanic checked the timebelt and how well its thighened and he said its all fine but I havent had time to show him this other problem that recently occured...

has anyone ever had this problem? Is it the turbo?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts