Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to add to the other problems I previously posted, now my water pump started leaking. How much does it cost for labor to replace this. I've already found the part for what I think is a reasonable price ($62.00 @ autopart.com).
I'm assuming that it won't be cheap since the timing belt will need to be removed and for this monster V6 that's not as easy as it is for the 4cyl. Is there a way that i can do this myself without having to remove the timing belt - say just remove the covers and loosen the belts? I've studied the engine diagrams and it dosen't seem like it can be done inside my garage. I'm afraid to turn the crankshaft while removing the crank pulley. Aside from this I need a steering wheel puller to remove that bitch and that's just another thing I don't want to spend on for a one time use.
Heeelpp!

-Ray

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm also having the same problem and I was quoted a price 2 times over the part you bought and another $240 in labor, but this guy is ripping me off. So I asked my parent's mechanic (great guy!) and he could do the whole thing $130 and do a good job. The point is, the cost is entirely on the mechanic man.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the mileages on your cars. I believe that these water pumps should not leak unless there is a header problem which causes added pressure to the coolant chamber from the pistons. If you want to check it out see if the tips of your spark plugs have antifreeze on them or remove your coolant refill cap and start your engine. Any bubbling will immediately indicate whether you have damaged headers. Also note that piston # 1 is usually the weakest in the whole engine.

I'm paying a whole lot more from Mazda to actually change the water pump and the timing belt (no time to look for a cheap mechanic :(. But like I said, if there is a header problem, I assume these things could give out in less time than they should
-Ray

S

·
0 Posts
I feel your pain...

I just got a call from the service department.
I have about $3000 in repairs to do to various things...
:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't recommend doing it yourself unless you have the tools! Found this out the hard way....Got all necessary belts off, tire off, extras off, but then it came down to the cam shaft pulled bolt. Couldn't budge it. My impact wrench wasn't doing it. Breaker bar, nothing. Cranking the starter (very stupid), nothing. Ended up having it towed down to the garage. Paid about 90 for the pump and about 200 for the remainder of the work. I know the guys down at the station so they gave me half off the work. I guess I lucked out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts