Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my Water Pump bearing is shot so I'm in the proccess of replacing. So far I have the Timing Belt cover unbolted, water pump pulley off and the motor mount off.

What else am I **required** to do in order to finish this job? I'm trying to just do it as fast as possible but am having a lot of trouble getting the crankshaft pulley off. Any advice on how to do this? Any advice on completing this job? It's turning out to be one biatch of a project. Probably gonna just replace the Timing belt while I'm at it...

Like always any help at all is appreciated.\

BTW: No I haven't got the timing belt cover off yet because it's stuck behind the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Are you using a puller to get the front pulley off? After removing the bolt, this is all that is needed. You can get a puller set for about $15 from Harbor Freight or probably any local auto parts store. Just make sure it has some metric treaded bolts that will screw into the pulley.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Nothing else is "required"... but often the timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner are highly recommended while you are in this area. I used a timing belt kit from www.thepartsbin.com when I did my belt and pulleys, and bought the tensioner from www.fordpartsonline.com (be sure to get an OEM unit for this, as non-OEMs have been prone to premature failure). Yes, the tenstioner is expensive (~$140) - significantly cheaper usually means it's not OEM or it's not the hydraulic part that you need (some places call it the tensioner, even if it's not the hydraulic part)

As for a procedure, Leska's famed procedure works very well, and has a great way to pop the crank pulley bolt off. I have an archived copy of this at my site, linked below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sugestion. I did a water pump myself a few weeks ago... its tough work! One thing that worked for me is use the belts to hold the pully. Get a bud to put the belt around the wheel and hold on tight... then use your socket and wrench to remove the wheel. It worked for me. Hope you marked the timming!... dont be afraid once you get the timming belt on to turn the engine over a few times with your wrench make sure it turns the pistons free and nothing is wrong. Then if everything seems ok start it for a few secounds, and make sure you got the timming down pat... but dont let it run for very long though! This will save you time once you get everything back together and realize the timming is off by one tooth and you have to take it all apart again!

Got anymore questions let me know

Jeff

Ps. Yeah you gotta use brute strength to pull that cover off... and its only more fun to get it back on! That little cover took me an afternoon to get off.. but I'm an expert at putting it on now lol !

·
Registered
22 Posts
unamedplaya87 said:
My water pump is faulty, has been bad for a while now and I have to replace it, but it looks like a big PITA. Is it really that much more work?
Well I had a qoute for a garage to do it for me $900.00. My bud and I decided we could do it. Three weekends later my car was still up on blocks. My sugestion to you, if you have the time, and you want to learn how everything works down there, go for it, you'll save a buck. But first things first buy a Repair Manual for you car and read what your getting into.
Other wise take it to a garage, you'll save a few skinned knuckles, beer money and alot of swear words. After all thats what they do for a living right?

Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I got the old pump out about 15 minutes ago. So far I would estimate about 8 hrs put into this little project but like 2 of those were trying to get the crankshaft pulley off. I ended up propping the breaker bar up against the arm and turning the car over real quick. Worked like a charm.

Tools I would reccomend thus far:

Appropriate sockets: 10mm, 12mm, 21mm to name a few
Breaker bar
Timing pulley/harmonic balancer puller
Haynes Manual
Rags
Something you can take your anger out on ex: glass ware, punching bag, bat etc.
Just stay away from things that are living.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is there a performance water pump for our cars?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The crankshaft Bolt was the nightmare for me.

I ended up buying a high end impact gun (the harbor freight "Earthquake" a ingersoll rand Thunderbolt clone) that had twin hammer action and 675 ft/lbs of torque.

I wish I would have thought of the breaker bar cranking the car idea.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
unamedplaya87 said:
My water pump is faulty, has been bad for a while now and I have to replace it, but it looks like a big PITA. Is it really that much more work?
Sorry for the late reply, but here it is anyway.

The water pump is a pain in the butt, as is the timing belt. Still, with even some mechanic-competence, it's not that hard. I did mine the first time in about 8 hours - belt, waterpump, and tensioner. The second time I did it, it took about 4 hours. It's not impossible, and it can save you a ton of money (parts cost about $500 for everything in there).

The breaker-bar/starter bump is a wonderful trick... I was so glad to have Leska's procedure to do this job, as it was totally clear and easy to follow.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya last night I just got everything back together. Finished in a couple hours. Putting everything back on is no doubt easier then getting it off...for me anyway. I did it all in the dark with a little 35 watt shop light and trying to make as little noise as possible (started at 8:30) and it was still a peace of cake. I tore the stupid wires for the crankshaft position sensor and such out so I need to do that still. But all in all not the worst project ever.

FYI I only spent about $90:
-$80 for a Bosch pump with lifetime warranty
-$3 for sealer ish
-Tax

Pepboys was my store of choice.

Oh ya plus a breaker bar: $15 from Sears

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Yeah, just one more note for anyone that searches this topic in the future.

The Chilton book says you have to take down the timing belt assembly to replace the pump. You absolutely DO NOT have to touch the timing belt assembly. i had enough room to "negotiate" the pump out with everything installed. it's tight, but you can do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts