Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the dreaded cam belt change next week and thought I would follow the advice of changing the water pump at the same time.
Can anyone recommend anywhere that is not a main dealer for the water pump.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I use a guy in sheffield (mazda trained mechanic), but it really depends on where you are..

John

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Hmm... mechanicing by mail order...

I would suggest you try one of the links at the top of the forum to find a supplier for a pump.. I thought you was on about someone to do the work.

John

·
Registered
320 Posts
I spoke two two Mazda dealers over the weekend to get quotes for the cam belt change

1. They mentioned that the tensioner is a hydraulic gadget that sometimes leaks and could cost an extra £140 !!, but of course they can't tell until they start the work.

2. Neither dealer recomended changing the water pump and when pressed said they had never done this at the same time as failure was rare. Surely if they thought it was a good idea they would tell you as it is extra dosh for them.

comments please:)

Rich

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Agreed that the water pump does last for quite a while, but to replace the pump, the timing belt has to come off, and the labour for this is £150 plus.. the pump is about £70... most mechanics will advise you to replace the pump at the same time as having the belt done, and vice-versa.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts