Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have changed your water pump?

Did you do it yourself? How long did it take you and what tools are needed? If you got someone to do it. hwo much did it cost with changing all the belts, while you are there?

I have searched and read on PT about this so!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
its easy...!!!!

i pulled mine while the engine was out. all you need is a flat head, and a socket wrench. youll need to replace the gasket, which looks like a cheap one...

not sure if youll have to pull the engine or what on the 6 tho...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was no help, you have a 4 and your engine was out.
the v6 water pump is right beside and down from the pass. motor mount.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
same on the 4 bud...

youll have to pull the pulley off.... which the other pump probly doesnt come with one anyways.

pull the belt off, pull the pulley off (this is where you use the flathead), pull the timing belt tensioner off (if its in the way or mounted to the water pump housing like on the FS), pull the pump out... replace the gasket and reinstall... have fun!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read up on it and i have heard it was fun. but since you had your engine out then you didnot have a 3in work space like mine would have.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
k... now pull the pulley off... now you have 4 inches...LOL

pull off the fenderwell as if you were going to change your crank pulley and if needed, you can now get to it from the bottom.

you have shallow-well sockets right? 12 and 14mm?

i would have to say the middle timing belt cover is the hardest part.

once you get the pump bolts out, it pops right out. its really shallow... doesnt protrude into the engine really...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts