Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wat up people? Ok so wat is the TRUE hp of the 88-92 MX6 GT Turbo's. Isn't it 145 hp, 190 lb torque? I've heard others say that they have 165 hp and that isnt true i dont think. The 2nd gen has 164 hp.

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a question I would like to have answered. But, no matter I plan on making some horses.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
It really is only 145 hp. Even though it does feel like more. The reason, is because our engines have a shitload of torque at a fairly low for a 4 banger 3400 rpms.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Real-hp?

Your factory specs. for hp and torque are dead accurate (145/190). However, magazine reviews of the period, and the seat of my pants have confirmed that these (88-91) cars can vary widely in real hp. and performance. My 626 Turbo produced 204.8 hp @ 4900 rpm and 212 lbs of [email protected]
This figure is of course corrected for drivetrain loss, but not for altitude.(3200ft+)

I only have a K&N drop in filter, and a stock, quiet (stock except for resonator replacing cat. convert.)exhaust system.

Most stock 1st gen. turbos can hardly come close to keeping up, and 2nd gen. unmodified, can be dusted off as easy as Toyota Corollas with smoked windows and fancy plastic wheel covers.

Some of these cars where just delivered with a great factory porting job, and favorable variances in their wastgate tolerances.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Re: Real-hp?

626T-sleeper said:
Your factory specs. for hp and torque are dead accurate (145/190). However, magazine reviews of the period, and the seat of my pants have confirmed that these (88-91) cars can vary widely in real hp. and performance. My 626 Turbo produced 204.8 hp @ 4900 rpm and 212 lbs of [email protected]
This figure is of course corrected for drivetrain loss, but not for altitude.(3200ft+)

I only have a K&N drop in filter, and a stock, quiet (stock except for resonator replacing cat. convert.)exhaust system.

Most stock 1st gen. turbos can hardly come close to keeping up, and 2nd gen. unmodified, can be dusted off as easy as Toyota Corollas with smoked windows and fancy plastic wheel covers.

Some of these cars where just delivered with a great factory porting job, and favorable variances in their wastgate tolerances.
Sounds like one helluva factory freak you have there. I'm just trying to figure out how you have 50hp more than most stock 1stgens, but not much more torque. Have you ever hooked a boost guage to this car? I'd just love to know where this extra power is coming from.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
HP??????

My teori are that Mazda rated wheel power
I have seen dynos of stock 2,2 turbos with
148hp at the weels and 180hp at the crank
i have also seen the FE3 engines dynoed at
170hp at the crank
I while ago i saw a 323 tested in a Norwegian
magasine
this car was rated at 98hp the magasine got it dynoed
at 115hp about 15% differense lets say the differense
betwin rated and dynoed hp numbers are drivetrain
losses if you apply the 15% to the stock rating
at 2,2Turbo and FE3 engines you get about
the dynoed crank hp [email protected]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So what you are saying FE3T is that you suspect @ 15% of our power is being lost through the drivetrain? Isn't 15% really high? If it is, then what is the cause of so much lost power on these cars? What percentage of power does the average car loose through the drivetrain? If this is correct, then I would really like to experience what these cars feel like with a lightweight aluminum flywheel and some ultra-light wheels like the Volk TE-37. That would be incredible. What else could be done to eliminate some of the lost power?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dino'ed hp/torque, etc..

Dino'ed at Davenport racing. (Just had to find out how much power this thing really made after I killed my friends 01 Maxima 5spd.) I'm not a real racer, I need this vehicle for work 5 days a week. My daily personal entertainment involves driving about 70 K's a day, and regularly knocking off V-tech Hondas, that sound like poorly tuned lawn mowers, and occasionally pace really serious machinery while eating an egg-mc'muffin.

Just do the math! 3380lb car (with me in it), 0-60 in about 6.5 sec.,(if I heat the heck out of the tires before the run), and 14.8 @ 99mph.

I've had this car since new, its always had way more rip than it should, and no I have never had a boost gauge on it. It would be alot faster if I could set it up with a locking diff. because even with upgraded tires, its a real challenge to hook the car up through 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh, ya corrections... also called wishful thinking. Davenport racing grants a 15% allowance for manual transmission, 20% for automatics, and a 14% altitude correction for our thin air up here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

·
Registered
367 Posts
hp's

OK, you guys really are serious a really serious numbers bunch and you got me thinking, the full correction formula on my numbers, are 204.8 hp * 1.14 (14% alltitude correction)= 233.47. Now a 15% drivetrain loss allowance; 233.47 * 0.85 = 198.45.
Darn it! I lost 6hp!, guess I'll have to turn off the A/C. now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2Rusty said:
So what you are saying FE3T is that you suspect @ 15% of our power is being lost through the drivetrain? Isn't 15% really high? If it is, then what is the cause of so much lost power on these cars? What percentage of power does the average car loose through the drivetrain? If this is correct, then I would really like to experience what these cars feel like with a lightweight aluminum flywheel and some ultra-light wheels like the Volk TE-37. That would be incredible. What else could be done to eliminate some of the lost power?
Just about every moving part in your transmission steals power.
even the tyres.
Dyno the same car with brand new 255 wide tyres and then you
change too worn 165 wide tyres and look at the differense.
Wide tyres help you get grip but create friction losses

a rear driven car with an auto trans and dragracing tyres would probably have 30% loss in drivetrain

ps 626T-sleeper I dont doubth your numbers
just sharing my teories why Mazdas are faster than
most other cars with similar hp/weigth ratings

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
KW or HP

It just dont matter you still have different numbers at wheels
than at crank even with KW ratings
Here in Norway we use KG,KM,CCM and LITRE`S
But nobody uses KW in common speach just good old HP

KWx1,36=HP