Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. im new to the board..... just got a used 91 MX-6 LX auto wit 150,000 miles... the previous owner was kinda stupid and didnt maintain it very well so it had some bad valve seal so i got that fixed... it is actually gonna be my brother's car but hes an idiot and dont know jack about tuning except putting fog lights on it... so im going to be in charge of the 'tuning' part... i have driven it plenty and i was surprised that even if it was an auto... it could still pull pretty hard... i did notice that it had plenty of torque because of that... i did get rather impressed with its performance and want to do some simple tuning to it...anyone got specs on this car? im just interested.. well tankz... peace

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hiya. If I remember correctly, the naturally-aspirated four produces 110 horsepower @ 4,800 rpm and 130 foot-pounds torque @ 3,000 rpm, making it one of a very few Jp engines I've seen that makes more torque than horsepower. As far as tuning goes... well, MX-6s are pretty neglected in the aftermarket. This goes doubly so for the first generation, and quadruply so for a non-turbo first-gen :( I'm afraid you'll be limited mainly to suspension and whee/tire combos. As far as engine performance goes, the only semi-feasible option would be to find a wrecked GT with an intact engine/transaxle and swap the whole shebang into a DX or LX, but that takes some doing, as well as cannibalizing other parts from a GT parts car (rear brake discs, etc.) to make its all-around performance equal to a GT. Still, if you're crazy like I am, it's definitely not impossible :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for da info.. that engine swap is a good idea, the miles on my engine is high and the engine is just not in top shape anymore. I might go looking around for a GT engine.. are there any intakes or exhaust(non-universal, pref. cat-back) available for it?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check http://www.corksport.com . I believe a few other companies offer exhaust systems for MX-6 turbos, but I can't remeber offhand. Also, it's worth a shot to see if you can get a local shop to custom-bend you a system. There's been some talk in the Yahoo club for first-gen MX-6s for larger downpipes for turbo cars, butr I don't really know much about it; you'll have to ask one of our turbo gurus. I'm just a penniless college guy driving a DX :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts