Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does a weak battery affect the performance of the brakes? All of a sudden when I press the brake the engine shutters, when I put it in neutral and take my foot off the idle is steady. Also when I press down on the brakes I hear a hiss.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
the hiss is normal... as for the others... maybe its your alternator?

-meaty

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I'm not sure about that. The only reason the brakes feel different with the engine off is because of the lack of vacuum. The brakes have nothing at all to do with the electrical system. The only reason I can think of his engine stuttering when he hits the brakes is a vacuum leak caused by the brake booster or check valve. Or, and this is a long shot, a short in his brake light wiring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The latest: I had the battery and altenator check out in Sears. The battery check out fine but the alts results came back as defective. I took the six to a shop in Brooklyn and the guy was charging me like $240 for the the alt. I told him to go F**K himself and I took it to another shop but before I did I bought the alt myself for $85 and the shop will put in in for $60. As far as the brakes I will test them to see how they feel after the alt is put in...then I'll take it from there.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It's surprising how much current goes through those brake lights. I always thought that power brakes worked sort of like power steering until I read that at howstuffworks. Interesting. Way to go on not getting shafted mrbigGT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Turns out is was the BOOSTER after all. I don't know guys if this car keeps acting up it's going to meet an ugly death at the hands of MrBig.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Got the six back this afternoon and she feels great! At the end of all this she now has a new starter, Alt and brake booster...what the hell I guess I'll keep her around a bit longer :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts