Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weapon-R Intake finally installed. {pics}

One question though....is this setup alright?? I didn't follow the manual's instructions because it didn't fit right. So I just connected the filter to the stock air duct.

As far as performance goes:

-notice a slight increase in low-end torque (not so much different in high revs)
-awesome sounding intake

Here are some pics:

http://members.rogers.com/npangestu/weaponR-1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/npangestu/weaponR-2.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/npangestu/weaponR-3.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/npangestu/weaponR-4.jpg

Installation:
Time - 40 mins
Tools - Phillips head; 12mm socket; 10mm wrench.

Price:
Total - $136.88CAD incl. all the tax & shipping.

Final note:
I found it a pain in the ass to remove the stock air box only because I had to buy a 12mm socket to remove it. I taxi'd it over to the local Canadian tire because I couldn't drive my car since the air box was 1/2 out. Damn! I wish I was more cpu literate to record and post the sound coming from under the hood. It sounds so distinct and very sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
LOOKS NICE,BUT I GOT MINE FOR ROUGHLY 85 BUCKS.....ME AND CAPSULE KID FITTED MINE...TOOK US A LIL LONGER THOUGH CUZ WE DIDNT REALIZE WE HAD TO LEAVE THE STOCK PIPING DUE TO SENSORS...LOOKS NICE THOUGH...ONLY WE REMOVED THE LIL RAM AIR TYPE OF APPARATUS AND JUST REPLACED THE BOX.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didn't really get ripped off since the shipping to canada is much more expensive.

i was a bit confused at first when i opened the package because there was no piping included. then i kind of figured out that i had to use the stock one because of that stupid sensor. why did they have to make the mx6 so complicated???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ms sixy mama, do you have pics of your installed intake?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Sorry but I don't really see any benefits if any from this setup beside the sound. The intake charge is still exactly the same as stock not to mention the air mass and velocity. The shape of the filter mmight change the sound since air will be rushing in faster due to the larger surface area, but i don't see any improvement over the stock airbox. matter of fact it looks EXACTLY like a stock airbox only in a cylinder format.

But than again i do bet it sound spretty sweet since the force air induction getting sucked through that big ass filter will cause some good sonic signatures.

But you might want to check out my writeup on the Prelude CAI if you guys have an MTX, if it's the ATX than this is probably a good setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so given with what i did, you think i should take out the ram thingy?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
I also have the weapon-r but mine came with piping, it's only like 3 inches long, but it's still piping, i got rid of the scoop thingy, and it made a sonic and performance difference. i also didn't get the heat shield. but anyways, i just replaced my weapon-r filter because i didn't feel like buying another filter element, so the only weapon-r stuff left of the intake is the piping and one silicone coupler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Yo N4te33,

Were you the guy at the FS Audio Install Bay that one day when I pulled up with the gold MX-6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
FS = Future Shop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yo

hey whats up meatplow,
yeah i was the one with the green mx6 in front of FS. I was getting a deck installed that day. You mentioned you were doing some fine tuning to your stereo system right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ragincanajun4 said:
I also have the weapon-r but mine came with piping, it's only like 3 inches long, but it's still piping, i got rid of the scoop thingy, and it made a sonic and performance difference. i also didn't get the heat shield. but anyways, i just replaced my weapon-r filter because i didn't feel like buying another filter element, so the only weapon-r stuff left of the intake is the piping and one silicone coupler.
hey ragin, you have some pics of your intake with the 3' pipe? I didn't use it because I couldn't fit it in properly. Should've asked my GF to help me out if you know what I mean :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Ya, the amp was cutting in and out for some reason. It's working OK now though.

Intake looks good man, but why didn't you go with a CAI?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i was going to buy the Ractive CAI from Thompson Motorsport (some canadian distributor) but a lot of people said that Ractive CAI's sucked. Go figure.
I'm quite happy with the Weapon R though. Easy to install w/o having to go underneath the car.

What have you been up to Meatplow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
i understand how you my be sceptical of it becaus its stull under the hood of the car and has a short reach, but the idea behind is is to use that stock plastic air vent to get a cold air effect thats safe in bad weather conditions. but what sets them apart is the actual dragon filter that is a sponge type filter simalar to the hks. paper filters are very effective when brand new but overtime dirt particles clog the microscopic holes and reduce airflow dramatically. as your may know paper filters a folded in a zig zag pattern so thiers more surface area becaus paper dousnt breathe too well. another reason the sponge or hks style filter fairs better in the elements than paper is that sponges have cell memory unlike paper. when the paper gets wet the holes get smaller when it dries the wholes are distorted compaired to their origanal state unlike when the sponge dries its cells rebound back into place. it was tested agaist the iceman and i forget the other brand but is the leading honda intake brand and it faired better on the dyno tests with a celica gts wich has simalar power compared to our cars with the weapon r pipeing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Nutin' much man,

Still working out all the kinks that comes along with an engine swap. I wanna get that J-spec ECU, but A-spec is charging me too much for it (400 bucks!). I need to find someone that can sell me a J-spec for about 200-250 range.

As for the CAI, I never new the Ractive was crap. Lucky you told me, cause I was gonna get one after winter. I wonder why its garbage since its stainless steel running down to the subframe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
n4te33 said:
ms sixy mama, do you have pics of your installed intake?
YEAH theres a few pics of my car in my BFs cardomain page,on the 3rd page i beleive. These pics were pre-exhaust, so I don't have one of those on there. Got some updating to do.
Not too much work yet. Just waiting for income tax.:D
But check out these pics so I'm not considered a liar.
dragon intake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
nitro balla said:
i understand how you my be sceptical of it becaus its stull under the hood of the car and has a short reach, but the idea behind is is to use that stock plastic air vent to get a cold air effect thats safe in bad weather conditions. but what sets them apart is the actual dragon filter that is a sponge type filter simalar to the hks. paper filters are very effective when brand new but overtime dirt particles clog the microscopic holes and reduce airflow dramatically. as your may know paper filters a folded in a zig zag pattern so thiers more surface area becaus paper dousnt breathe too well. another reason the sponge or hks style filter fairs better in the elements than paper is that sponges have cell memory unlike paper. when the paper gets wet the holes get smaller when it dries the wholes are distorted compaired to their origanal state unlike when the sponge dries its cells rebound back into place. it was tested agaist the iceman and i forget the other brand but is the leading honda intake brand and it faired better on the dyno tests with a celica gts wich has simalar power compared to our cars with the weapon r pipeing.

Please tell me your not promoting sponge air filters. Specifically ones that will be used for any period of time. There's a reason sponge filters are inferior to the others. Sponge deteriorates quickly. And the last thing you want is pieces of your filter in your engine. If you don't believe me about this phenomenon, check out VWvortex. I believe it was Ractive foam filters that caused the death of some cars over there. Though I may be wrong on brand.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top