Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried these before? i just ordered the secret weapon intake they have a promo going that you get filter cleaner and ram air kit with it till april 30.

how exactly does ram air work?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it doesn't.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had a weapon R on my Integra and it did the job, its a fine product. Next time thought, I'm just going to throw a K&N on some pipe ;)

Also agree with ghostling

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
worked great i think the stock intake had a crack in it my idle fluctuated and my engine wobbled. but the sw intake stopped that idle is at 1k rpm if i let run for a little it goes to 650 but no wobble. there a little wierd to install you think its not going to work, but it does.

ram air kit doesnt fit no room.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ive got ram air at the moment...fits fine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
looking at how the weapon R works, it should be easy to duplicate.

that said, I have an idea for a CAI that I think would perform better than your standard CAI available now.
Im going to experiment with the idea and post my results (when I get to that point in the work on my car)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
You won't gain more than 5hp with an air intake on a KL motor anyway.
probably not even that with the 'ram air intake' (a.k.a. warm air intake) alone. because the VAF has a huge plunger blocking the intake air way forming the bottle neck in the intake system.

even if u open things up upstream from that, it will have no effect as the VAF is still bottle necking the flow. the only way to increase air intake is to take in cooler (denser) air by using a full cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I dunno, not too much of a difference with mine. Although, I do love the sound, and the looks.

Btw, all I did was take a filter, and with an adapter, it's attached directly to my vaf. Sure, I know, not the best place at all for cold air, but I'm not too worried about that right now. My stock intake got decimated when I let someone else work on my car, so I threw it on.

I want to eventually get a PRM set-up though...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Just so you know, and not that anybody who mods their cars care but just general info

A better flowing filter is usually filtering less. So really if you put a weapon R intake on, you may want to change your oil sooner than factory. Being there is no longer a paper filter to get the fine particles out, those fine particles are now making their way into your engine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think they look to extravagant there kinda ricey for Honda intake. Just my .02

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's why you check the filtering efficiency. K&N and AEM filters (at least) filter better than paper filters. In fact K&N started making filters for races like Baja 1000, where there's LOTS of dust, dirt, grime etc.

the main reason for getting a ram air intake is to have a smoother intake tract and more volume, you're unlikely to see more than 1-2 hp dyno wise.

CAI extend out out of the engine bay (usually to the ground) to grab colder, denser air. Again, you're generally looking at 1-3 hp gain. When using a CAI you should consider using a piece that AEM sells, it's basically a cheapy foam filter connected between the pipes, up high in the engine compartment so that if
your filter ends up in a puddle it won't suck up the water.

high flow filters are a decent choice for the mx6 since it's already a half decent set up, but all of the corrugated tubing and silencers boxes seriously restrict the flow and add turbulence,

What you're doing with a new intake is pretty much just a supporting mod for future upgrades,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts