Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have the weapon r coil overs? I've heard nothing but good things about the Ground Controls but haven't heard anything about the weapon r. They're cheaper, that's why I'm asking... usually in my book you get what you pay for... I want my 6 to hug the corners and not slam the strut/shock to the max if I hit a bump. I'm not talking about a set of RR track... just a small pot hole of something. I have Eibach springs on my sebring convertible (my wife's) and I swear the KYB strut maxes out any time it hits a bump... WWHHAAMMM... pisses me off... Thank God I didn't put rims on the car.

G

·
The Weapon Rs have a really high spring rate, 500 lbs linear. Don't be fooled by that little wimp spring at the top, that's just to keep the spring from becoming dismounted at full extension. It's pretty much an autoX spring, and I've heard that it's a good one. It takes less to make it bottom out versus the GCs, but it's probably not designed to cope with mid-corner potholes. Overall if you like a clap-board ride, you should be happy with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Will... I might opt for the GC's cause I want to feel every crack, pepple, and squishy worm on the road... I want it to be tIGHt... just like my girl! He he:p

G

·
Uh, then you should get the Weapon Rs. The GCs have spring rate of 375f/250r, which is considerably softer than the WeapRs 500f/?r. It's still real stiff, but not nearly as stiff as the WeapRs. To give you an idea the stock MX6 spring rate is about 195f/125r (I think). The GC is roughly twice as stiff as stock, the WeapRs are roughly twice as stiff as the GCs. GC also makes other versions with higher spring rates, and you can also order them with custom spring rates if you want to change the under/oversteer. You can't go wrong with GCs but the WeapRs are definitely worth a look, especially for the price.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i would only get the weapRs if you ONLY drive on PERFECT pavement. EVER. i live in NY, and i would NEVER consider a 500 spring rate! my teeth would fall out, my windows shatter, brain shoot out the top of my head and probably explode as a suspension component plunges through the walls of my gas tank.

...ok so i exaggerated a little with the brain and gas tank stuff. the others would probably happen tho :E . 500 is HARD. :mad: :eek:

go GC.

just my advice.
hope it helps,
Nick
BLUMX6

[Edited by BLUMX6 on 02-02-2001 at 08:16 PM]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts