Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just a quick question. When I pop my hood with the engine running I hear a fairly loud hissing noise that almost sounds like an intake. I traced the sound to a small tube like thing about the width of a pen right next to the spark plugs. It is facing upward and sucking in air, when i put my finger over it and cut off the sucking then engine stalls out. As soon as i remove my finger the engine goes back to normal. Is this a normal piece of the engine? It just seems weird and out of place, almost like it should be connected to something. Any help would be apprecieated...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Are you referring to the PCV valve, It's on the front valve cover between two of the spark plugs (the two nearest the distributor) on the top half.

The valve is a little elbow that goes into the valve cover, and it has a hose going to it that is a vacuum source. You should have the valve present and the vacuum line present. the valve is about $3 to replace.

Tyson
95 LS

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now are u saying that there is something that goes on the little tube sticking up? is that the valve? Also what purpose does this piece serve? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check out my page at http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman/mx6

and you will see a picture of the PCV valve...the hose crosses the plug wires to the front bank, and the valve is near the right-most cylinder.

The valve, as the name applies, is positive crankcase ventilation. It allows crankcase gases to be sucked into the intake manifold, ventilating them (relieving pressure in a way).

If you need a better picture, email me.

Tyson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts