Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened just a few moments ago. I was on my way home when I noticed my lights started to loose power, they almost went off, then a few minutes later it comes back to normal. So at this point I'm not really concerned.

Only 10 minutes later they went down but this time my radio lost almost all of his power and for reasons beyond my comprehension started glitching. At this point I believe my battery or alternator is experiencing problems so tomorrow as soon as I wake up I'll be checking that up with a multi-meter and etc. As soon as I stooped the car i couldn't start it back there was not enough power.

I'm telling you this just so you know what happened because it ain't my question yet.

I'm wondering why my air bag light started to flash on a regular. I mean it was 2 flash of about 3/4 of a seconds with about 1 second break between them and about 2 seconds break before the pattern repeated.

So if anyone can tip me out I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance! Happy new year to all!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hmm I guess losing power like that, it would be kind of intermittent, perhaps the air bag lights went out because of it. That's a strange one.

Just hope you have a bad battery and don't have to replace the alternator. Make sure the battery terminals are tight too, loose ones might cause weird behavior.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's precisely what I'm hopping for. I'll hook up the battery on charge and see what happens. Will clean up the pole and sand down the connector to just to make sure.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Also check the main connection to the Alt from the battery.

If that is loose (or over tight) it may be causing the problems.

(Over tight? you may ask..) Yes. If it is over tight, the insulated plastic inside the alt breaks and causes a dead short on the alt. This expands and contracts depending on the running temp. causing a problem when the car is hot and being fine when the car is cold. Trust me, I had my Alt in and out several times before I worked it out.

If that is the case, you need to buy a new main power lead attachment bolt (This is the thing that is black plastic with a bolt inside that you fasten the thick positive from the battery to the alt. (If that makes any fucking sense at all :lol:) Very cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the battery and bough brand new terminals. Fixed the problem for a day, then the car wouldn't start anymore.

The alternator is only giving out 9V, 10V max. Any reason why it could be doing that? I just can't really afford an alternator for now =(.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
^Thats the way it goes. First order of business on my car was the alternator. And it was doing exactly what your car was doing. Sorry bro, hopefully everything works for you. Look at the bright side, alternators are easy to do. No need for labor fees :)

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
You say you bought new terminals? Make sure if you got the painted kind that the contact points arent painted over. Just to make sure your getting max contact. And also our stock alternator ground can be quite brittle. Check to make sure its still intact and/or even plugged in. As also wih everyone advice, grounds grounds grounds. Check em. Again, I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well basically I couldn't start the car with the available charge in the battery but as soon as it was running no problem at all. Obviously it's a brand new battery so it would have ended up been depleted like the old one that was over 11 years old. And was due to be replaced anyway.

My terminals are not painted. I'll look into the ground wire later.

I've found a rebuilt alternator for 60$ with a 3 moths warranty and I know a garage who will install it for 40$ and grantee their labour. It's freezing outside and I don't have a garage so I'm not going to bother with it.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts