Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the strangest problem I've ever had with a car. When I start the car I get this weird noise with my brakes. Here it goes: it's like a loud drill/chain saw (can be heard from outside), happens only when I press the brake pedal (only going forward, wont do it on reverse) and ONLY with the first 4-5 times I press the brake pedal, then the ABS orange light goes on and the noise and weird feeling on the brake pedal goes away. So as long as the light is on, things are ok. If shut the down the engine and start the car again I get the same thing. Now I'm sure it's the ABS so I was wondering, anyway to just disable the ABS ? Dont need it anyway...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Take out all of the sensors. They are merely magnets for the most part. I've never worked much with the Mx6 ABS, but on my MR2 I just cut them off. I do believe you can pull the fuse or relay for the ABS. Only if it does not control anything else.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i have an idea! it might be dumb tho hehe

if ur rear capilers r stuck (frozen) then when you try to move the car will sense that they're locking and start ABSing hehe

just an idea :p

·
Registered
749 Posts
I definately reckon the sound you're talking about is the ABS kicking in.
Can you feel anything through the pedal? I reckon something must be triggering the ABS, but I don't know what :(
Rasheed may be right, sticking callipers are a problem with our cars, but I didn't know that would trigger the ABS.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you want to disconnect the ABS just unplug one sensor. Every time the ABS light comes on the system should go back to no ABS. If you can handle driving with the dash light on your set.

Why do you "not need" ABS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kc 93'ls said:
If you want to disconnect the ABS just unplug one sensor. Every time the ABS light comes on the system should go back to no ABS. If you can handle driving with the dash light on your set.

Why do you "not need" ABS?
I've always been driving with no ABS. None of my previous cars had this feature so it's kindda useless. And it comes from someone living in Montreal, Canada, land of the snow and ice !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hot Cheese said:
I definately reckon the sound you're talking about is the ABS kicking in.
Can you feel anything through the pedal? I reckon something must be triggering the ABS, but I don't know what :(
Rasheed may be right, sticking callipers are a problem with our cars, but I didn't know that would trigger the ABS.
Yup I can feel something through the pedal (some kind of quick vibrations). Caliper cant be stuck. Had it changed last week, just checked them and they're ok.

Btw someone knows where exactly I can find these sensors ?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you can feel vibrations through the pedal then that is the ABS kicking in.
I'd advise against just disconnecting the ABS, it is useful and no matter how good you're driving is it does cut down stopping distances when it all goes tits.
And where are you btw? If you're in the UK you won't get the car through an MOT with dodgy ABS.

·
Registered
564 Posts
xxtavixx said:
As opposed to having no ABS?

I fail to see the difference. So long as you have all 4 brakes working properly, you should be fine.
The differance is ABS lowers your stopping distance and keeps you in a staight line.

Non ABS will cause you to go into a uncontrolable skid. If your driving to fast and riding somebody ass as the ligh goes red, its good to have. It saved my bacon a couple times;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hot Cheese said:
If you can feel vibrations through the pedal then that is the ABS kicking in.
I'd advise against just disconnecting the ABS, it is useful and no matter how good you're driving is it does cut down stopping distances when it all goes tits.
And where are you btw? If you're in the UK you won't get the car through an MOT with dodgy ABS.
I'm in Canada. Maybe I'm just old school. Maybe my ABS was screwed since the beginning but last winter, it was more a nuisance compared to my RX-7 which has it disabled since day one.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
kc 93'ls said:
The differance is ABS lowers your stopping distance and keeps you in a staight line.

Non ABS will cause you to go into a uncontrolable skid. If your driving to fast and riding somebody ass as the ligh goes red, its good to have. It saved my bacon a couple times;)
You have a large misunderstanding of braking and ABS. Many people have the misconception that ABS will stop a car faster, when in reality it does not. It does not keep you in a straight line either, another misunderstood effect of ABS.

To stop as fast as you want, you want to have as much braking power without locking the rotors in place. You should lock the rotors, and then back off slightly. ABS does not allow you to do this. That's how you stop in the shortest distance. As far as stopping in a straight line, ABS has nothing to do with that. If you are driving in a straight line, you will stop in a straight line. It's momentum. You can lock up all four tires, and turn the front wheel and go in a straight line. Even in a turn, you can lock up all four and stop in a straight line, but you dont want to stop in a straight line during a turn do you?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^ Thank you, that was much needed in this thread ;)

It's a proven fact that ABS equipped vehicles have longer stopping distances than those without when driven by drivers who know what the F they're doing. It does not keep you driving in a straight line, it simply keeps the wheels from locking up when nub drivers slam on the brakes as hard as they can.

·
Registered
564 Posts
xxtavixx said:
You have a large misunderstanding of braking and ABS. Many people have the misconception that ABS will stop a car faster, when in reality it does not. It does not keep you in a straight line either, another misunderstood effect of ABS.
In wet condition it brakes better and in a straighter line. That is what we found in the ABS class I took at BCIT. My class wet down the parking lot with soap and water and did some test. With ABS ECU connected we found that the truck stopped 20 feet sooner AND in a straight line.... opposed to having the ECU disconnected. When the ECU was disconnected the trucks braking distance was farther (aprox 20') and it was facing 45 degs. off its original direction. Both tests were done at 60km/per hour.

I believe you have the large misunderstanding of braking and ABS.

The idea behind ABS is simple. The system monitors wheel speed at all time and controls brake application pressures when wheel lock is imminent. The main benefits of an ABS sytem are better vehical stability and control during servere braking. An ABS system permits a less experienced driver to maintain much better control during panic stops.

ABS permits maximum efficiency stops even when the vehical is run on a split-coefficient surface. A split-coefficient surface might occur when one side of the vehical was running on ice and the other on bare pavement. The ABS module is capable of cycling the brakes on the ice side of the vehical at a different rate from that on the dry side.

In dry conditions with good tires it is hard to make the ABS work... but in wet condition ABS is far better than non ABS.

To stop as fast as you want, you want to have as much braking power without locking the rotors in place. You should lock the rotors, and then back off slightly. ABS does not allow you to do this.
The function of the ECU is to receive input information, process it, and then generate an output. It does this at up to 30 times per second, I don't believe you or any person can do this by simply locking the rotors and then backing off slightly.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You are still wrong, but only because you completely missed the point. Your facts are correct, but not applicable.

ABS only stops you faster if you don't know to drive a non ABS vehicle. If you are skilled in driving a non ABS vehicle, you will out perform the ABS vehicle in every category.

Did your class also tell you what most people's reaction is to ABS engaging is? They remove their foot from the pedal completely because it startles them. That doesnt do you a whole lot of good, does it?
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
i actually love the feeling on my foot:)
got a 5 door civic back home! completely stock even auto! and i love the ABS kicking in!! and it does help in the wet and most of the time!!

saying this my old car had no ABS and in the wet it was a lot harder 2 stop and the wheels lock a lot easier!

i donno i love ABS i think its GREAT

xxtavixx said:
You are still wrong, but only because you completely missed the point. Your facts are correct, but not applicable.

ABS only stops you faster if you don't know to drive a non ABS vehicle. If you are skilled in driving a non ABS vehicle, you will out perform the ABS vehicle in every category.

Did your class also tell you what most people's reaction is to ABS engaging is? They remove their foot from the pedal completely because it startles them. That doesnt do you a whole lot of good, does it?
-Andrew

·
Registered
564 Posts
xxtavixx said:
You are joking right?

There is now way anyone can compensate for wheels spin as fast as An ABS computer... not even Michael Schumacher. In a non ABS car the wheels don't anyways lock up with equal braking force. One side may lock up while the other does not. The differance in wheels speed causes the driver to lose control of steering and crash. The ABS module is capable of cycling the brakes on the locking side of the vehical at a different rate from that on the non locking side.

I know what you are trying to say, driver skill can over come the effictiveness of ABS. Which it can in some cases, not ever category though. There are to many variables in road condition that screws the formula up. Loose gravel or unpacked snow might actually take longer to stop in with ABS, while wet slippery road or dry roads may not. In either case the car with ABS will have controlled steering while applying maximum braking force.

We were told that cars with anti-lock brakes are up to 65% more likely to be in fatal crashes than cars without them. Driver who rely on technology instead of better driving habits to improve safety are driving down a dangerous road.

The point I was trying to make was the majority of drivers don't have a clue how to drive. If these people were to drive a car with ABS in slippery conditions and a car without, they would be way more likely to crash with non ABS.

Later KC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts