Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when I start the car, and when it idles sometimes, I get this huge puff of smoke <on startup, at idle it just kind of pours out>
It doesn't smell like oil. What it really smells like is kinda like an outboard boat engine. Kinda gassy. I'm not showing any trouble codes. The engine only has about 5K miles on it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sounds like classic turbo problem to me. Never had one go on me before but I've always heard when a turbo goes it will smoke worst at idle when its not getting as much oil. I would be really concerned if I were you. I could be wrong and for your sake, I hope that I am. Oh, it makes sense that your check engine light wouldn't come on since the turbo is after the engine on the exhaust. Good luck

[Edited by 2Rusty on 05-09-2001 at 01:32 PM]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I read that post, but his smoking is a little different. The last turbo that went out was different for me too. It would smoke when I decelerated only, not on startup, not idling, only when it had been boosting and I let off the gas, huge clouds.
This doesn't smell like oil, exactly either, it smells like the mixture is too rich and it's unburned fuel. Only thing is, that exhaust is usually black, and this is gray, like oil smoke. Very strange.

G

·
What do the plugs look like? Black? Grey? Or brown? They might be ablr to tell you somethig. Do you have a air/fuel gauge? Good investment for only $50, and a must if you are going to raise the boost any.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hmm, sounds like you are running rich, if the exhaust smells "gassy". Is the smoke black? if it is sounds like time to replace some sensors.

How smooth does your engine run at idle?
Did you break-in your engine properly?

Most outboard engines are 2-cycle (these days more and more are 4-cycle, however), as you probably know use oil in their fuel.

like 88 said, get a af guage and check the plugs. If the plugs are fouled, you are probably burning oil (black wet-looking black, aka oily) or are running rich (dry powder black).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I guess I should check the plugs. No air fuel meter, I've got other uses for my cash right now, like paying the bills. We're so swamped right now.
The engine runs pretty smooth at idle, though not new-car smooth. And I broke the engine in properly as far as I know. I ran it no higher than like 3K rpms under any kind of load for 500 miles, or 1K miles, I don't remember exactly. At any rate, I babied it for the number of miles the machine shop recommended for the rings to seat properly. My 02 sensor is kind of battered, and it caused a trouble code before, but, I reset the ECU and the code hasn't popped up, could it be causing a problem?

This smoke only happens at startup <big cloud, everytime> and SOMETIMES at idle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
o2 sensor isn't too expensive, I got mine from Advance Auto Parts for $23, bosch part #11027, really easy to do yourself but you might need a special socket removal tool (its an extra-tall 7/8" socket with one side removed for the sensor wire, about 10 bucks)

I couldn't get it unseated using my ratchet alone (kinda stuck, it was my original with ~160k miles on it) what I did was I took some vacuum cleaner extension hoses and put them over my ratchet, then it required almost no effort at all to remove it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Heatseeker is correct, you should buy the $11 socket at autozone, and use a cheetah bar on your ratchet to give you leverage.

The new O2 sensor will have anti-sieze on it already. The Bosche sensor I bought costed $35 or so--they have a universal for $21 at Autozone.

But I doubt it is the O2 sensor, sounds like you're running way rich.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it is definitely oil. It just smells like gas burning because, well, the cylinders ARE burning gas. The turbo is most likely the culprit. I have a turbo with a T-Bird wheel being rebuilt as I type. Gonna run about $300, but, it's not bad. Got to check out the turbo shop with the balancing machine and everything. VERY interesting trip, you wouldn't BELIEVE the size of some of the turbos in that place. The compressor wheels on some were literally 25-30 in diameter. They're for huge industrial gas compressors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts