Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and the car is still there...

About halfway through the 2nd session car stopped dead out on the track. Get it back to the pits and what a surprise - no spark!. So my disty blew up round the track in other words.

Went into Goulburn and managed to get a 12V soldering iron, 2m of wire and some solder from Dick Smith then went to try and locate an ignition module. Only place we could find was SuperCheap who had 1 ignition module that was even close to the correct shape and number of pins.

Unfortunatly my trackside HEI mod didnt succeed. Hopefully it's just because I couldn't remove the strap inside the disty as I've never taken one apart before and had no idea how to remove the rotor to get inside the thing. I'm guessing it just pulls off? but I couldnt get it off with small-medium amounts of force so wasn't going to go really yanking when I wasnt sure that was how its done.

Anyway hiring a trailer tomorrow and heading back tomorrow morning to pick the poor car up.

That aside I did get 1.5 sessions out there. Unfortunately only on a set of street tyres (I had my R-comps but can't afford to put that much wear on them in a day when its not competition, I was planning on putting them on for session 3) so had next to no grip. Still pulled of reasonable times. I had thoughts going into the day that under 1min 30sec would be good and got down to 1:22 on street tyres with still a lot to gain around the track.

Anyway when it gets home I'll rip out all the dodgy trackside wiring and go about it properly - may as well get an external coil too.

I'm pretty sure it's all my fault as it blew at pretty high rpm.....

ah well, at least it blew somewhere where I can safely leave it overnight instead of halfway down the highway.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
they normally go due to heat, not all high rpm, dont blame yourself :p Unlucky mate, chuck an external coil on her and im sure she will be fine for next time :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
that sucks that it had to happen on the track though, i just got back from a trackday with fiats and about a dozen fiats had problems haha.

1:22 is a descent effort, I did around that in my celica and about 1:18 in my dads renault clio 182.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they normally go due to heat, not all high rpm, dont blame yourself :p Unlucky mate, chuck an external coil on her and im sure she will be fine for next time :)
heh, well I know high rpm puts more stress on the ignition system... and would have been pretty close to 8krpm in a couple spots...'

jesiotrot said:
Things like that always happen at the worst time! It would never happen just cruising not far from home.

External coil FTW
well my last disty went when I was in canberra at least. But didnt know enough about the car to do HEI then though.

that sucks that it had to happen on the track though, i just got back from a trackday with fiats and about a dozen fiats had problems haha.

wastingtime said:
1:22 is a descent effort, I did around that in my celica and about 1:18 in my dads renault clio 182.
wasnt happy with that being my best of the day though heh. Easy break 1:20 on street tyres so 1:16-17ish with my good tyres.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Awww you poor thing Daevilone. I hope she's alright, lets just say I hope the storm doesn't reach wakefield =_=.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ it is under cover. So as long as there isnt any hail coming in at a bad angle tis all good.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
It's not your fault only thing you could of had is a spare.
Something it's not easy to carry around.
If you have a desgin fault you will always have a desgin Fault.
untill you kill it, it wil hit you anytime anywhere.
Maybe if yes not on track - hotter conditions etc might not of gone but it would have
maybe tomorrow or weekend etc. it still would have.

Reason I crack at no Oran park going out again this year for superlap. but it's pain as I think on monday friend will be at Wakefeild in the S2000.
But going ot wakefeild one problem it's BIG TOW JOB BACK

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think youll find me and turk quite dissapointed we were not invited :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think youll find me and turk quite dissapointed we were not invited :D
hahah sorry. Maybe an mx6 club day at wakefield then? Or eastern creek I guess.

Car's home now. look at fixing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The coil died in mine when i was reversing out of my drive way to go to the drags :lol: at least you got to the track. An MX6.com track day would be awesome i would be up for that for sure

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
hahah sorry. Maybe an mx6 club day at wakefield then? Or eastern creek I guess.

Car's home now. look at fixing it tomorrow.
Now that would be a good mazda cruise. When the weather cools down a bit though :p. Im sure only a few cars will come, but it would be an awesome day with all of us at the side of the track with broken dizzy's and me with blown rings :tup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ lol. If we had a track day cruise with 5 people that would be plenty - dont want the track getting crowded.

and lol.

not quite finished yet, work's got in the way. Most of the wiring is done though. Maybe finish this arvo, then pray to god it starts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts