Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey look I dont have an mx yet but I WILL get one SOON. One of my future plans is to s/c it. Now before I do that and [fizzle] it up, I was wondering what would I need to get and do to make it work right.
My plan is to stick a KLZE in with boltons (exhust, headers, flywheel, new stage 3 clutch etc.). Then I planned on running about 7psi with the tkt m90 supercharger kit.

Here's what I would like to know:

A) What needs to be swapped from the klde to the klze during the engine swap (I heard some KLDE parts are better then the KLZE ones and they're interchangeable)

B) At 7 psi do I need an FMU, fuel injectors, fuel pump or fuel rails? If I do how badly would it effect my mpg?

C)With the TKT kit do I need to remove the a/c and/or battery?

D) what would approximetely be the hp/ torque results with that setup

I already reaserched all these topics on the site multiple times but I never seemed to find the right answers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are going to need the distributor off of your KLDE. At 7psi you will need fuel pump and injectors. Stock cuts out at 6psi i beleive. And megasquirt definetly, a fmu wont be safe enough with the hi compression of the ZE. The Tkt kit is a intake manifold with a supercharger welded on the back, I have heard of fitment issues with the mx6's engine being to close to the firewall, but i dont know for sure. So no you wont need to remove the ac.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, over 60 views and only one comment...please do, couse this are the questions I think of every time I go to bed and every time I wake up (basically everyday). I want my car to be suited up, but I need guidence from those who know about this stuff.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
one thing you will need is alot of research, before attemping this....

i know this because you have to ask this question, read, read, and read, and dont plan on going the cheap route as it will only be more costly in the long run.. there is alot of information about this on this board and probetalk, so just use the search button..

goodluck and hope everything goes will...:tup:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
One thing ive been stressed on about my swap(which is practically the same as yours) PLEASE run a megasquirt, tuning is crucial when running a boosted stock internal ZE.

your probably gonna wanna put a set of DE valve retainers/springs on the ze heads most people get oem replacement retainers and the interprep springs

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Ok, you wanted some replys ...

A) What needs to be swapped from the klde to the klze during the engine swap (I heard some KLDE parts are better then the KLZE ones and they're interchangeable)
The springs/retainers are the only thing better on the DE. Might as well get some better Titanium retainers if you don't have an extra set of DE heads laying around.

B) At 7 psi do I need an FMU, fuel injectors, fuel pump or fuel rails? If I do how badly would it effect my mpg?
100% ABSOLUTELY BARE MINIMUM! You could MAYBE keep up with 1-2psi on the stock system. You will need bare minimum a 190/255lph pump and an FMU. 7psi is really pushing the stock injectors, but they might hold up. (I wouldn't want to risk them going static though) With 10:1 compression an FMU really doesn't cut it. I'm sure you could get away with it for a while, but it'll eventually pop.
No, you do NOT need new fuel rails. You can modify them to accept larger Nissan injectors but you won't need that for 7psi. Millenia S injectors will be plenty.

Your fuel effeciency(mpg) will stay exactly the same if not better unless you are in constant boost.

C)With the TKT kit do I need to remove the a/c and/or battery?
Sorry, not familiar enough with the setup. I'm turbo! :shrug:

D) what would approximetely be the hp/ torque results with that setup
ALOT! Most people hear "5 or 7psi" and think that's not alot. Remember .... on a 10:1 compression engine 7psi is ALOT! It will all depend on your tune and setup whether you see 200whp or 250whp. (WHEEL HP) Even on a piss-poor tune your car will really impress you!
"Dueces" on ProbeTalk is running a very similar setup to what you want ... 7psi on a ZE with Millenia Injectors. He ran a very impressive 13.2x @ 105mph but I don't think he's posted any dyno #'s yet.

REMEMBER ** The Fuel setup is the absolute MOST critical!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, keep em coming. I read alot about this stuff but I wanted to ask you guys just becouse I'm a student, and if I'm gonna need to do tons of work to get the s/c hooked up (if it's over 6000) I might just put a KLZE in with all boltons, flywheel clutch, and stick with that. I mean here's a few main questions:
In a car like an mx-6 which weighs a lil over 2600 lbs, would 210-220 hp be enough for a speedy daily driver?
Is that what I would probly get with a full KLZE, HS headers and CAI, Exhaust (probably custom dual), fidenza fly wheel, stage 2 clutch?
If the above are yes what are other possible mods I could do.

I'm a big car fan, i read about this stuff but in this cas eI really perfer asking guys who actually have 1st hand experience with THE MX-6. Please let me know what you know and what you think.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yes, a KLZE with Bolt-ons will be a quick lil' daily driver. And most importantly it will be reliable. No, it will not even come close to the power possible with Forced Induction. Of course most turbo/sc guys spend more time fixing crap then driving ... or at least it feels that way sometimes.

If you do not have a garage or at least a driveway and lots of tools, i would suggest going the N/A route with a ZE.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Most people do not put superchargers on daily drivers just b/c they put the most ware on the engine of all the methods of FI.

My suggestion to you would be get the ZE with all the bolt ons you want, then put n20 in it with a 50 or 75 shot. This way you are only putting pressure on your engine when you want to.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
well you can go to probeaddiction.com. they have a kit for the probe/mx6. i would trust them more. only because they made a site for the probe/mx6, and TKT i hear bad stories on... that or you can be cheaper and build you own setup. i hear its a lot cheaper. its what i was told. plus on the probeaddiction you can make it where it bypasses the SC and not use it. ;)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
well you can go to probeaddiction.com. they have a kit for the probe/mx6. i would trust them more. only because they made a site for the probe/mx6, and TKT i hear bad stories on... that or you can be cheaper and build you own setup. i hear its a lot cheaper. its what i was told. plus on the probeaddiction you can make it where it bypasses the SC and not use it. ;)
just use an m62 or something with the electric clutch and run a switch in the car...simple as rgar

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea but I wanted to get some type of FI without having to put in all the fuel system shits, couse as far as I understand, with larger injectors and a bigger fuelpump the MPGs go down. I thoguht that you can run 6 psi with an intercolloer with-out FMUs(megasquirt), fuel pumps or fuel injectors. Apperently thats not the case

·
Registered
282 Posts
Okay lets think about this for a second b/c this is like the 1000th time in 3 months that I've read about people losing MPG with FI.

Obviously if you are going to do something like FI you are commited to putting some power under your hood. THIS WILL COST FUEL MILAGE. But anyone willing to put that much money into there car should not be worried about how often they will be visiting the gass station, and if they are, then they need to buy a POS daily driver. ALSO, you do not have to drive like a mad man on the road, you can drive conservativly when just going from place to place.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
yea but I wanted to get some type of FI without having to put in all the fuel system [
You can not, and I repeat CAN NOT put a single tiny bit of F/I into your car with the stock Fuel System. Upgrading your Fuel is an ABSOLUTE 100% MUST! I realize you've already learned this by now but I wanted ot make sure everyone knew.

An NO I get just as good if not BETTER mpg after the turbo install!!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I read the thread, which answered some of my questions but not all of them. What keeps bothering me is i'm not sure if it is better to have a ze with no or little boost or stay with the KL03, build it up (pistons n shit), get MS, a fuel pump, and have like 10-12 psi goin. Once again this IS going to be a daily driver so I wanna know whats also more reliable (considering that I do want some hp and tq packed in it). Any comment is appretiated.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
you can run 10psi on a ze and have it reliable, as long as you've got a solid tune. but if ur planning for big boost #'s later i'd go de.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
so does this mean that I can have like 7 psi on a ze with just an inline fuel pump if it's tuned right (how much whp would thos aprx. make?)? Shops can tune it, right?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts