Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reach at least 150HP at the wheels with my 4cyl ATX. I don't have money to add turbo, are there enough bolt on upgrades to do to make it that much faster?

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
umm i doubt it

You would probably require some turbo or super charger for that kind of gain... either that or a whole lot of engine work and some N2O... that would probably cost you just as much as a turbo charger

lates...:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well difference in turbo and bolt on is that I wont blow my engine with bolt on stuff. I just wanted to know what's good and where can I look for it. Of course I shall get a 50shot of nos, but I know some other stuff I will need as well to smoke these civic si's hehehehe.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
150whp in an ATX car is something around 182hp at the crankshaft (21% loss assumed.) That's (a) big-time power for any 2.0L normally aspirated motor and (b) a ton over the 118-ish the 2.0L 4-cyl makes from the factory.

I don't see this happening with the traditional "bolt ons" (I/H/E etc). If you go deep into the motor (and your pockets) I guess you could massage the head and cams to give you pretty respectable breathing at 7000RPM (looks like rods too then) but that motor would be pretty tough to live with day-today: rough idle (or an idle at 1200RPM), low torque production down low etc. Without variable valve timing, it's tough to get power (at high RPM) and torque (at low RPM) from the same small-displacement motor.

If you want a cheap, on-demand increase of 70+HP (technically it's a bolt-on), I'd suggest N2O, but research the subject thoroughly before subjecting your engine and drivetrain to it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well okay, how about what all I can do to make it significantly faster aside from adding NOS/Turbo. I plan on doing a Home Depot CAI, but for exhaust I hear that adding one only adds like 1-2hp to our cars since the stock exhaust is not very restrictive. I have heard about pulleys and stuff like that but not directly sure about details.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts