Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 91 Lx and I don't know much about the 6 yet, except that I love it!!! I was wondering what I could start with to make it faster. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
666 Posts
No way, get the turbo engine and ECU and then you'll love your car. You just like it right now, trust me :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
well im working on puting a turbo motor in my lx but if you stick with your motor do some head work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
invest some money in a turbo motor like tex said. you dont want pacesetter you would like greddy or hks a lot better for the money. rip off your catalytic converter for about 10 hp or so. get new plugs and wires and stuff like that. just use your head. performance before style....look out for those sleepers

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want real performance your best bet is to sell your newly acquired 6 and buy a GT model. This is the easiest way to get more power.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe not everyone has money for a turbo motor and they are looking for naturally aspirated mods. what do you do then???

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do suspension first. It makes the carmuch more enjoyable. Springs and struts make a world of difference. Also, you can do the basic Intake, header, exhaust stuff. They help a bit. I'm looking into getting a cam from Paeco.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I know people talk crap about nitrous, but, have you thought about getting like a 50 shot? If you do your homework, and do it right, it's safe enough. And you can do it for like $750, and that's including a nitrous controller that will retard the timing if it senses a lean condition. It will also control the injectors to add extra fuel, I recommend Jacobs Electronics Nitrous Mastermind. They are in Summit Racing's catalog.
Other than something like that, just like people said. Intake and exhaust will free up some horsepower. I don't recommend gutting the cat, unless there is no emissions testing where you are. That is a fine punishable by up to 25 years in prison and either $250,000 or $25,000 in the states. Also, if you get lower profile tires than stock, you'll accelerate a little quicker. Your speedo will be off though. Without an engine swap, or nitrous, you're pretty limited in what you can do. Head work is an option of course, but, for the cost, you probably won't see a huge difference, of course, when you add in other mods like exhaust and intake, it'll be more noticible.
I agree with squal282 on the suspension, it won't be faster, but, it'll be a lot more fun to drive fast.
Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A unorthodox underdrive is a noticable difference. this is a decient page to check out. http://www.modernperformance.com/mazda/onmx6.htm
good luck
I own a lx and there is really no great mods with out major ends($).
email me if you want to know what i have got going.

·
Registered
233 Posts
And NO I don't mean a series two, even if I do have one.!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts