Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of upgrades to my mx-6 turbo,wires and turbo upgrade, air intake upgrade. My cousin has a 1997 or 98 pontiac grand am gtp. 3.8 supercharged. what are my chances at beating him? I think the gtp's have a 6.8 0-60 time, but I am unsure of the quarter times. what do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
upgrades.

To be not to exact, wich I cannot, I had blue ribbon turbo in texas do the turbo upgrades. He was old school, Air flow research, Garret, hes been around for awhile, anyway. He only told me that as far as statistics that I should have gained bettween 25- 30 horse, pending on exhaust and intake. I have a stock exhaust, wich by the way, what is your pick for the best aftermarket exhaust? sorry couldnt be more exact on the turbo upgrade .The car was incredibly faster after I installed the turbo.

·
Registered
734 Posts
ANTHONY DAVID said:
I have a couple of upgrades to my mx-6 turbo,wires and turbo upgrade, air intake upgrade. My cousin has a 1997 or 98 pontiac grand am gtp. 3.8 supercharged. what are my chances at beating him? I think the gtp's have a 6.8 0-60 time, but I am unsure of the quarter times. what do you think?
Grand Am GTP? Either it is a Grand Am GT or a supercharged Grand Prix GT (which is called the GTP) Depends on the mods... stock 1/4 times are about 15 sec w/ 0-60 of 6.4... while even lightly modded ones can get the 13's and some crank out 12's if they are nicely equipped with the right mods... just adding a smaller supercharger pulley alone can give the GTP 20+ more horses... and superchargers unlike turbo's have no lag... I'd have to side w/ the GTP. My GTP has a 9" K&N cone in a Cold air box... which gives it a lot more oomph... and I changed the pulley from 3.8" to 3.4" and the car is so much much MUCH more powerful than stock... I can eat a Stock GTP alive w/ just those two mods alone... I'll need more info about his car to give to an educated opinion... If he has a new pulley you'd probably see his bumper fairly soon.. but if it is completely stock... Let me know what you have done to your turbo so I can get an idea.. do you have and 1/4 times for your car or a stock turbo 6? If his is 100% stock than I can give you a couple tips (weaknesses) to ensure your victory...

[Edited by IH8RICE on 05-06-2001 at 12:05 AM]

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
His car is completely stock

It is a 1997-98 GTP, 3.8 completely stock. My mx-6 has had some turbo work done by blue ribbon turbo, drop in K&N filter, nothing to much so far, trying to get the body work done first, but soon, will have more. I am actually trying to get help from overseas, (exotic land) I have written to about four different motor techs, even Old Mazarati motor heads, some smaller shops that are more interested in an odd ball project and money than anything else. I am just trying to see, if any of the old school guys overseas want to mess with something like this, you would be surprized at the e-mail I have received, nothing promising yet, but at least I have had a couple of responses to my inquires. when you tell them money is no object, it is amazing the help you get.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you are a stick... then you should take him
a tip:
If you can get him to do a rolling start try to get one at 35mph... the stock GP's are pretty weak there. also if he is inexperienced... hope or try and get him to leave traction control on, and not use performance shift...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Do you have a way I could get ahold of him? I'd like to talk to him and invite him to the Grand Prix club... I could make his car alot faster for little money...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Oh.. btw.. The stock times for the 1/4 on the GTP vary quite a bit.. I've seen and heard eveything from 14.6 to 15.8 (loss of traction). MOST stock GTP's run an even 15 sec 1/4... you can use this to judge how hard you have to work. You can safely assume he can run the 1/4 in 14.9-15.1

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
IH8 RICE

Actually he does not own a pc, but he is very interested in building his GTP. He kind of left it to me to find him any and all performance upgrades for his car. I have been trying for the last few years to get him back into the race, he use to own a couple of acuras that he wanted to build, but I geuss he decided to build this GTP, either way, it is kind of nice to have someone you know building a car, it kind of gives each other a push. maybe you can help him out by giving me some sites to go to for his car. You can e-mail me if you want so you dont have to post the info on the mazda site.

·
Registered
734 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts