Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic is one of the most popular on other car forums I'm on, and I thought it might give a place for some of us who are doing work (or cleaning or driving or whatever), but not a major build to talk about what you're doing.

The prior owner of my car had installed a trunk with a spoiler, but didn't put in the lifts that could handle it, so I finally fixed that problem. I also fixed the trunk pull... I'd tried bending the tab, but I was afraid of breaking it, so I made an extension out if epoxy and painted it black (I also painted over the junkyard number on the latch).

Today I replaced all of the clips that hold the door shells on. They now feel so much more solid when they close.

I would love to hear what other people are up to....

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Sadly, my MX6 is just sitting, waiting for a part. Specifically, a new exhaust/resonator (it's rusting out, at the flange where it joins the muffler). None available (that I could find). WrenchMonkey say they can get one from Borla sometime in July, so I ordered it. If that fails, I'm going to have to ask my neighbour if he will fabricate one for me (he makes stainless steel exhaust systems as a hobby).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, my MX6 is just sitting, waiting for a part. Specifically, a new exhaust/resonator (it's rusting out, at the flange where it joins the muffler). None available (that I could find). WrenchMonkey say they can get one from Borla sometime in July, so I ordered it. If that fails, I'm going to have to ask my neighbour if he will fabricate one for me (he makes stainless steel exhaust systems as a hobby).
Sucks that it's sitting. I feel your pain. I should be able to finally register it on Monday if the DMV actually opens... Then a proper test drive (assuming I fix the clutch hydraulics between now and then).

Be sure to report back on the exhaust. I want a full stainless system, but finding out what it's going to sound like is challenging!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got the clutch hydraulics fixed. After replacing the master and slave cylinders, it just kept bleeding fine, then bleeding air (or nothing, it was hard to tell if my vacuum pump was just leaking or what). I couldn't figure it out, so I set aside an hour or two to pull it all apart and test each piece individually.... it turned out there's something in the reservoir preventing the clutch master from picking up fluid once it's halfway between full and low, and it starts drawing air at that point... you can kind of see it in this picture, where the back of the reservoir is lower than the front:

Is that normal? I assume not, but I have no idea...

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have a vague memory (don't trust me on this) that dual brake/clutch hydraulic systems are set up so that if the clutch system leaks, it doesn't take all the fluid out of the brake system. For safety. So I think it may be normal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a vague memory (don't trust me on this) that dual brake/clutch hydraulic systems are set up so that if the clutch system leaks, it doesn't take all the fluid out of the brake system. For safety. So I think it may be normal.
Well,I'm willing to hope so.... at least, it all works great as long as I keep the reservoir over that level, so for now, I shall do just that~

As to what I'm doing with the MX6.... not today, but yesterday I started my timing belt/water pump replacement. I am stalled at the moment though, as I found the harmonic balancer and motor mount were in rather sad shape after I took them off and ordered new parts. I also managed to snap the power steering tensioner bolt so I'll be picking up a replacement for that too...

·
Registered
112 Posts
You snapped the power steering tensioner bolt ? That is a little unusual since that just continually rotates and not fastened tightly against anything. Where are you going to locate a replacement ?
That power steering tensioner pulley is an unusual one. The open face has to face away from the engine for it to run smooth. And either way, the clearance between the pulley and crankshaft pulley is almost nothing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Did you loosen the power steering pulley bolt before starting to move the power steering tensioner bolt ? If not, that would have created tension and could have caused the bolt to break.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you loosen the power steering pulley bolt before starting to move the power steering tensioner bolt ? If not, that would have created tension and could have caused the bolt to break.
That is exactly the mistake I made... I should be able to get any M8x1.25 bolt that's long enough (checking advance tomorrow).

As soon as I get that bolt and more coolant tomorrow, the motor mount and harmonic balancer are supposed to arrive Tuesday, NJ MVC finally reopens Tuesday, I should actually be able to get some real miles in this week!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would just like to say that I hate engine mounts. It just didn't want to be in the right spot, and stupid me hsd removed the jack handle so I didn't trip over it, making it really hard to adjust the engine position at all.

The bastard is in, though. Hopefully my post-timing belt start is tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
What did you do to your MX6 today..?
Nothing. Can't get it started. Its been parked since mid May while Ive been recuperating. Jump started it a couple of weeks ago and now won t turn over again even with a jump. Nothing's happening..no clicking, nothing. Not sure what the problem is now. Tried different Ground points for the Neg but no luck..!! Confused .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you do to your MX6 today..?
Nothing. Can't get it started. Its been parked since mid May while Ive been recuperating. Jump started it a couple of weeks ago and now won t turn over again even with a jump. Nothing's happening..no clicking, nothing. Not sure what the problem is now. Tried different Ground points for the Neg but no luck..!! Confused .
I'd try taking out the battery and getting it tested, so you at least know how bad it is. I've had times where the battery was so low that jumping didn't really do anything. Or I had to leave the "good" car running for 5 min first before trying to start the "dead" car. That would at least let you see if anything changes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, today... I buttoned up my timing job and found out I probably have the belt off by a tooth... it'll start, but runs terribly and gets worse + backfires I rev it at all. So I pushed it out of the garage to make room for woodworking projects for a bit... I'll get back to it when there's a chance of actually being able to get the title transferred and registered. Has anyone seen the news on how bad NJ DMVs are? ugh.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, yesterday I pulled the trunk carpet to see if I could repair some of the rust from the leak that I'd hoped I fixed by replacing the grommet for the 3rd brake light on the spoiler and tightening up the bolts and found out that I had in fact not fixed the leak. It looks like the some prior owner spent an entire tube of silicone caulk trying to seal the leak, so this is going to be fun...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm hopefully going to clean my VRIS solenoid contact points to get rid of my code 41.

Anyone know a good place for replacement ones if that doesn't work?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I pick up VRIS solenoids from pick-and-pull junkyards. The fuel pressure solenoid attached to the air filter box is also the same as the VRIS solenoids, and is less likely to be burned out. Remember Ford Probes and Mazda 626 are a good source of junkyard parts too.

FINALLY got my exhaust resonator pipe! Hooray!.So today I'm replacing a rear handbrake cable, trying to patch up the exhaust heat shields a bit, then installing the new resonator pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pick up VRIS solenoids from pick-and-pull junkyards. The fuel pressure solenoid attached to the air filter box is also the same as the VRIS solenoids, and is less likely to be burned out. Remember Ford Probes and Mazda 626 are a good source of junkyard parts too.

FINALLY got my exhaust resonator pipe! Hooray!.So today I'm replacing a rear handbrake cable, trying to patch up the exhaust heat shields a bit, then installing the new resonator pipe.
Thanks! do you know of any source for new or refurb online? I was checking the inventory of some junk yards around my location and only 1 626 and 1 millenia. Did the newer millenia have the VRIS solenoids?

Thanks for the tip on the one attached the air filter box. I feel like all these solenoids look the same but have different names.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have harvested solenoids a couple of times from junkyards, and so glad I did. New ones cost are very expensive,
some in the hundreds of dollars. I am not sure a solenoid can be refurbished, as it is an electrical part.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
A quick internet search tells me that at least some Millenia have VRIS solenoids (lots of owners asking "what's VRIS, and how do I fix it?").

I can find EGR solenoids online, and I'm pretty sure the EGR and VRIS solenoids are the same. They look different, but that's only because you need to pull the little cap (it's actually a tiny air filter) off one end and push it on the other end. (These solenoids have 3 tubes coming out: hoses attach to 2 tubes, and the tiny filter/cap with the Mitsubishi symbol on it goes on the 3rd. Different uses (VRIS vs EGR) require attaching the hoses and cap to different tubes.)

You know about the trick of putting 110 volts through a VRIS to clean the contacts? Use at your own risk. I've never done it myself, and would try 24 volts first (2 car batteries in series).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts