Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Looks like our VRIS solenoids are the same as the PRC solenoids on lots of older Mazda cars and trucks:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You know about the trick of putting 110 volts through a VRIS to clean the contacts? Use at your own risk. I've never done it myself, and would try 24 volts first (2 car batteries in series).
Unfortunately, I can't look at the video you linked here (since I'm at work) but I wanted to point out that there is a big difference between 110 volts AC and 24 volts DC. If I had to guess, the point of the 110 volts is to alternate the current at 60hz and cause it to open and shut rapidly cleaning out the crap. Putting 24 volts DC through it will just trigger the solenoid in one direction like 12 volts would.

I really appreciate you posting the videos and information you discover, I am sure it will come in handy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was unexpectedly home from work yesterday, due to a power outage, and I spent a good part of the afternoon completing the rust remediation in the trunk. The trunk had clearly leaked for a while and had rotted through in a couple spots. I removed a ton of sound deadening, wire wheeled all of the loose rust off, and treated everything with POR15 before giving it a Rustoleum topcoat so it was all roughly the same color... Since I can't weld and it's non-structural, I covered the holes with fiberglass cloth and POR15, which should keep it rust free and fairly solid.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have harvested a lot of solenoids from junkyards, just to keep in reserve, and because they are so cheap.
Not all solenoids are the same. Some are 2 prong, some are 3 prong. Some are narrower where the electric connection is made. But hard to go wrong if you can find them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I changed the front brake pads on my auto and put a clutch slave cylinder on the manual one. Cleaned both engine bays

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pulled my VRIS Solenoids yesterday and the new ones come today. WD40 made it pretty easy.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying they're expensive. I found them on rock auto for $20 each.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My brochure I arrived finally came in the mail...

I don't know why, but I like having the brochure. I plan on putting it with the folder I keep receipts and records in.

I love this page - talking about using a "supercomputer" to design the 5-speed transmission...

·
Registered
134 Posts
That is a good find on Rockauto for a solenoid. They didn't used to carry them. I see the 2 prong one for only around $ 20. Wish they carried the 3 prong one for the egr. I saw another place selling the 2 egr solenoids for around $ 110.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got it running, finally. Timing belt/water pump complete, got the timing at 12 degrees BTDC, took it for a test drive... now I just gotta get it registered so I can drive it a lot further.... guess I gotta prep myself to wait in line for a few hours~

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Four months after purchase... it's finally titled in my name and registered. Time for a test drive. (=

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Sadly, my MX6 is just sitting, waiting for a part. Specifically, a new exhaust/resonator (it's rusting out, at the flange where it joins the muffler). None available (that I could find). WrenchMonkey say they can get one from Borla sometime in July, so I ordered it. If that fails, I'm going to have to ask my neighbour if he will fabricate one for me (he makes stainless steel exhaust systems as a hobby).
Had the same problem

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Had the same problem. Part no longer available, so I had a shop cut out the old at that rotted joint and put in a straight pipe down to the muffer and twin tip. Still legal now since AirCare (emissions tests) have ended.
All is good.
Still have problems with the code 51 air bag sensor thing. Bulb burnt out from flashing so much and now the blue box/module beeps regularly....ugh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Four months after purchase... it's finally titled in my name and registered. Time for a test drive. (=
Went out for the test drive... dead battery. Jumped and drove ~12 miles. It's working well. Went to drive it to work this morning... battery was too low to turn over the engine.

Clearly I have some parasitic draw I need to track down. I'm tempted to blame the stereo, but I guess I'll start at basic principles and fix any electrical issues I can find. I noticed the cluster was flickering when I drove, so clearly there's a bad ground there, and the receptacle for one of the courtesy lights is not working, so I'll fix those first.

Time to break out the multi-meter!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Had the same problem. Part no longer available, so I had a shop cut out the old at that rotted joint and put in a straight pipe down to the muffer and twin tip. Still legal now since AirCare (emissions tests) have ended.
All is good.
Still have problems with the code 51 air bag sensor thing. Bulb burnt out from flashing so much and now the blue box/module beeps regularly....ugh
Wrench Monkey Canada eventually came through with a Bosal resonator. Good quality part, at a good price.

I was lucky to find an air bag blue box/module at Kenny U-Pull a couple of years back, which fixed my air bag light.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Clearly I have some parasitic draw I need to track down. I'm tempted to blame the stereo, but I guess I'll start at basic principles and fix any electrical issues I can find. I noticed the cluster was flickering when I drove, so clearly there's a bad ground there, and the receptacle for one of the courtesy lights is not working, so I'll fix those first.

Time to break out the multi-meter!
Aftermarket Stereo? That's always the first suspect with electrical issues!

Great to hear your MX6 is on the road!

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Wrench Monkey Canada eventually came through with a Bosal resonator. Good quality part, at a good price.

I was lucky to find an air bag blue box/module at Kenny U-Pull a couple of years back, which fixed my air bag light.
Cool.. Good for that..!!
I haven't looked lately, but the last time I checked the local 'u-pulls' around here I couldn't find any 2G 6's. I may try for Probes or other Mazda's of that era..!?!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Aftermarket Stereo? That's always the first suspect with electrical issues!

Great to hear your MX6 is on the road!
Yup, that's my suspicion as well. Also I suspect a problem with the trunk courtesy light (the trunk is not the one that came with the car. It's got a spoiler (and used to be red) on a black base car.. Pulling the ROOM fuse (which I assume the radio is wired into) only reduces the draw from 130 mA to ~70 mA, so there's gotta be something else in there too.

What I wish I could do is scrape together a few hundred dollars so I can put a proper stereo in instead of fixing what's in there. Not really in the cards at the moment though. boo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Still haven't gotten a chance to track down the parasitic draw (I just unplug the negative terminal whenever the car's going to sit for more than an hour), but I did just finish running through my first full tank of gas. 27 mpg - I'm not sure what's normal, but I haven't been light on the throttle, so that seems pretty good.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts