Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, i know everyones probably asked this question before, but i'm looking at buying a 2nd gen MX-6. but what do i look for in that time frame? what is their to look for? whats the best one to get? i know theirs probably lots of different answers to my question but any information/feedback i get would be a big help. Thanx!

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by the time frame part. 2nd gen MX6's went from 1993-1997. I would seriously recommend the V6 (LS model) with the stick shift. Try to stay away from the automatic (especially if you go the 4cyl route) as they are problematic on our cars. Hope this helps!

Trent

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Common issues:

Valve cover gasket leaks
Automatic transmission weak ( it fails sometimes)
Noisy HLA'S
Distributor failure
leaky rear calipers on early models (93-95)

Those are the main things. If you want to know more, type one of the issues in the search section of the site. You'll find heaps of info.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would go for a 96 or 97 LS with low miles. You'll lose 4 horsepower when compared to the 93-95, but you'll have a newer car that probably has less miles. Oh and you should see if the seller has maintenance records. You want an MX6 that has been babied, not thrashed.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think 95 is the prime year. Fixes on the Disty and rear caliper issues and still the OBD1 ECU which lends to less sensors to worry about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definetly shoot for 95 ls
last year for 164 horsepower and a good year where you can find low mile cars also make sure its stick there isnt advantage that i can think of with haveing an automatic unless you cant drive stick

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yeah, everyones gonna tell you to get a certain year, just becuase they have it and they will think its better then any other year, its true in some cases with the 4HP and 4lbs of torque lost. I think the 93 only had one airback if that matters to you.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
DONTY BUY A 93 UNLESS YOUR RICH AND HAVE PATIENCE!!!!!!!
TRUST ME, I SPEAK FROM EXPIERIRNCE.BY A MTX AND GET ANYTHING AFTER THE 95.SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I AM STRESSING A GOOOD POPINT HERE FOLKS.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ckozlgod said:
TRUST ME, I SPEAK FROM EXPIERIRNCE.BY A MTX AND GET ANYTHING AFTER THE 95.SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I AM STRESSING A GOOOD POPINT HERE FOLKS.
I have an 93 atx ls with 180,000km on it, so by your important point i should be getting f***ed and im not. The only thing that has ever gone wrong off warrenty and excluding maintenance was one o2 sensory and the disty cap and rotor were just replaced and i have all the service records to prove it. Maybe you just got a bad 93 :shrug:

-Bryce

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
i speak from experience, and i have witnessed disasterous 93's/94
i am on my 3rd tranny,only 107k miles too.
02 sensors dead
on 2nd disty
2nd starter
oil leak coming from side of valve cover(very minor but its melting the plastic side of the valve cover)

my friend used to have a 93ls, he went through 2 trannys 3 distys 3 calipers and his car only had 89k miles

my mechanic had a 94 and even HE got pissed off, even though he coulda fixed anything.

But sure every car is diff and chances are a lot of the 93s arent as bad, but i am just letting you know so you can make an INFORMED decision, but i say stick with a 95

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
SOunds like you just bought some real lemons.

I've owned a 93 and now a 94. A friend owns a 95 and we have not had any major problems.

Of all the problem you had only the starter is the special exception as all others are routine problems that should have been solved before hand.

FYI I am still running on dead O2 sensors so I only get about 20mpg right now.

As far as the tranny is concerned, mine has never ever failed me and i speak from 7 broken rx7 tranny. Of course yours might have been ATX than I totally believe you. The biggest flaw about these cars are the ATX. Even if you can't drive an MTX, get one and learn how, it'll save you alot of headache and you'll have alot more fun later down the line.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
yea it is an atx,next summer i am gettin a new car so i am not gonna even bother fixin this one,my mpg is prolly worse than yours.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Its just depends how the car was treated. I got mine from some old chick, so I'm set.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
ckozlgod said:
My 93 has had it's share of issues. But EVERY single one of them, (outside of VCGS), was normal wear or caused directly by me or a mechanic. ANY engine, regardless of year, would have blown if coolant lines were not connected. Brakes and Clutches wear out on anything I drive. So it's all routine stuff in my mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts