Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a friend at work that will bore my throttle body for me. we were wondering if anyone has done this them selfs and could give some pointers. Were going to do the standard 64 or 65mm bore but the tricky part will be the throttle plate. its not exactly round, sort of egg shaped. should i make mine egg shaped too or just round? what is the best machine to do it on, we were thinking lathe maybe milling machine. should i remove my IAC while im doing this and what is needed to re seal it new gasket, RVT sealent?

any help would be great. thanks alot Andy

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
First off your going to have to drill out those center screws on the plate. I would also take off the IAC so you dont break it while clamping it down to bore it.

Second the plate is elliptical i cant remember the exact degree but its elliotical. about 64 mm wide and 66 mm long? for the 65 mm bore that is.

Third i had mine done on a Mitsubishi laser machining computer so i dunno what else to bore it with. punch in a few things on CAD and put it in the computer and let it do it for you :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the word i was looking for eliptical. just one prob with the CAD and CNC, we dont have such fancy things where i work:( the height and width are easy enough to figure out. but does anyone know of a good way to figure out the rest of the eliptise?

thanks

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If you aren't using CNC, then how do you plan to get the elliptical profile machined properly? If you don't get the ellipse right, the throttle plate won't close properly, and you'll run into a whole slew of problems.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Fitting new 65mm TB

Hiya...following on from this....

Have looked through the TB posts without finding an answer:

I've got a spare TB that has just been bored straight through to 65mm.

1 - Can I use the standard butterfly, or will i have to get a custom one made?

2 - So much talk about plates, but where can I get a diagram with dimansions to take to my machinists? I can't have the car off the road, so would like to be able to give them specs and get whatever I need* made up for a quick swap.

* what do I need making up apart from the replacement TB?

·
Registered
951 Posts
go to probetalk,greg95 or something 65mm tb's for like 150'ish

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'll see if there's anything there that can help me. Thanks.

Any other offers? :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts