Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently i run Quaker State 10w-30, and change it every 3,000. I have been told that synthetic is better. Any opinions? If so what brand? and how often would i need to change it? any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do a search . .

There is a topic similar to this called "Oil Change". The same discussion is right there in front of you, one click away. However to answer your question right here, synthetic has been proven to be better overall and Mobil 1 seems to be a good choice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oil

I assume that your car is way over the break-in period so using synthetic oil is probably your best choice. I personally use Mobil 1 Synthetic ever since I got my car in 93'. It's called the Mobil 1 tri-Synthetic [5w30 for fall/winter and 15w50 for spring/summer] and i've never had engine problems ever. And another thing, don't waste your money on additives because using synthetic oil has sufficient lubricants and it's own cleansing agents in it. A good engine flush every other oil change is a good habit to do. I usually change my oil between 5-6k. Using a Bosch filter. Why use synthetic rather than conventional oil with adding after-market additives [i.e. Slick50] First of all, the molecules in synthetic oil are much more consistent in size and shape, which reduces the effects of extreme engine temperatures. Typically, a conventional oil's short-chain molecules can easily evaporate, and additives have unstable molecules that will oxidize in extreme heat. In addition, synthetic stocks are chemically produced so there are no contaminants. Conventional oils contain small amounts of sulfur, wax and asphaltic material that cannot be completely removed from crude petroleum. Another key difference is that synthetic stocks do not contain wax, which gives synthetic oils the ability to flow at much lower temperatures than conventional oils or additives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts