Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the gauge cluster out the other day and I noticed that there's a screw hole behind the tach in main circuit film that has '2200 rpm' written next to it. It corresponds to similar hole in tach circuit board with the same marking but it's blank.

Does anyone know what's supposed to happen at 2200 rpm?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Never seen it but, as a zero-order estimate, I would guess that it's probably a factory needle alignment/calibration adjustment.

Got any pics?

Reactions: Evert

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can take some pics of the spare cluster tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the back of the cluster:

And here's the corresponding hole in tach's circuit board. Markings suggest that it could be an output that creates somekind of signal at 2200rpm:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Very intriguing. Can you trace the circuit on that board to see where it goes?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually got 2 clusters. One is from '94 model with airbag, the other from '92 (first year for e-spec 2Gen) w/o airbag. There are some differences in pinout so pre-airbag cluster doesn't work without modification on airbagged model but both have that mystery pin.

I'll trace it to see where it goes.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really should pay more attention to stuff.
It's not just a missing connector. In second pic you can see there's a whole uncompleted circuit involved with bunch of capacitors, resistors, transistors and a NE555 timer chip.
But it's a 'cow's opinion' anyway because the 2200rpm connector on back of the cluster doesn't lead to anywhere.

So, I'm sorry guys for wasting your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts